Considering ADFs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iris135

Aquarium Advice Regular
I started a 5 gallon planted this week. It will be home to a Betta and ghost shrimp. I am considering adding an ADF or 2. Good idea, or bad idea?

As long as your Betta doesn't mind tank mates, ADFs are great combos with them. I kept two with a betta in my 6 gallon tank for a while with great success. The betta seemed fascinated by the frogs, and the frogs are just goofy :) The ghost shrimp might be froggy snack food however. If you go with the frogs make sure you feed them frozen or live brine shrimp/bloodworms (freeze dried causes blockages/bloat, and they won't eat pellets or flakes) via a turkey baster to make sure the betta doesn't pig out on all the food himself.

As long as your Betta doesn't mind tank mates, ADFs are great combos with them. I kept two with a betta in my 6 gallon tank for a while with great success. The betta seemed fascinated by the frogs, and the frogs are just goofy :) The ghost shrimp might be froggy snack food however. If you go with the frogs make sure you feed them frozen or live brine shrimp/bloodworms (freeze dried causes blockages/bloat, and they won't eat pellets or flakes) via a turkey baster to make sure the betta doesn't pig out on all the food himself.

Thanks!

Might be quite a bit for a 5G is my only concern. I have heard of ADFs going after the fans of the betta fins. They should be alright together though. ADFs might eat shrimp too.

Might be quite a bit for a 5G is my only concern. I have heard of ADFs going after the fans of the betta fins. They should be alright together though. ADFs might eat shrimp too.

If I do get an ADF it won't be for a while. I just got the shrimp and Betta today, I'm gonna see how they do together first. The size of the tank was a concern for me too, that's why I wanted to ask before getting one.

Back
Top Bottom