Considering Euthanising for Betta....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charmerang

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everybody,
I posted yesterday about my crowntail betta Phelps, he has gotten much worse since yesterday, even after a water change. His tail fins have actually started to break off and there are white fuzzies on his head and on one of his eyes. I know that this may be a fungal thing, but I'm thinking it is his actual slime coat peeling off... he decided to jump one day last week when I was changing his water and I had to scoop him up off of the counter (I used my bare hands in panic... maybe this is why he is sick? :()

Anyways, I have done everything I can think of, water change, aquarium salt, bettafix, turning the filter in his tank back on... but nothing seems to be making him feel better, I am extremely worried since I changed his water and his fins started breaking off...

Maybe I should give him until the end of the week, if he doesn't get better I feel like I don't want him to suffer anymore...

Any advice?

I looked all over for those but it seems like you can only find them online, even my LFS didn't have them... I don't think even if I ordered them they would get here in time to do much good :(

Does anyone suggest euthanising? I really feel like I should... but of course I want second and third opinions... my poor baby. :(

Catappa leaves are supposed to help overall health (I haven't tried them) but I don't think they are going to heal a betta in this kind of condition :(

I had to euthenize 6 neons because they got ich, but even treatment didn't help. If you decide to euthenize, the best thing to use is clove oil which you should be able to get from your local pharmacy(it is used for toothaches). I would say just use your best judgment, if he is just suffering and has little or no chance of living, I would euthenize. Maybe watch and see what happens overnight and if his condition progresses it would probably be best to end his suffering. Maybe someone else will know some meds that could help.

Sorry about Phelps.

I would not use clove oil. It's a matter of personal opinion what method is most humane. IMO anything instant is best, if possible.

I have used clove oil, and it works perfectly. The fish just slowly falls alseep, no suffering, then I put them in the freezer. :(

... it's not ich.

BUT:

Great news!
I got back from class just now and naturally checked on Phelps, when I noticed I was back he swam up to the glass like he used to do to say hi to me. He has been swimming around a little, but he is also taking some long breaks near the plants... His fins are obviously damaged but he has been spreading them as best he can.
I'm going to do a 40% water change with unsalted water later today. But I'm hopeful that he will make a full recovery!

thats great that he may be turning a corner....

You'll know when you need to euthanize. Its not an easy decision, but its better than the suffering to draw out if you know there not going to get better. I have a callamanus infestation in one of my tanks right now, and even though im treating I have been loosing some fish. Yesterday I had to euthanize two of my fishies.... It was really hard for me, but I knew it was best for them. I do the freezing water method, works instantly if you do it properly. This morning I have a fish acting abnormal, shes either going to have babies, which would be bad as I have another treatment of panacur for the callamanus worms to start tomorrow, or shes sick :(

GL to you!!

Yes, I fed him a bit of a pea earlier because he is definately constipated. He was happy to gobble it up! So safe to say his appetite has somewhat returned.

Sorry to hear about your tank...

How much pea should I feed him a day??

I have been giving him tiny bits (trying to make them smaller than his eye) a couple times a day. How often should he get peas and for how long? (1 day, 2 days?)
Should I just keep giving them to him until his bloating goes down?

I would probably keep up the amount you are feeding for 3 or 4 days, depending on how long it takes for the bloating to go down.

I looked all over for those but it seems like you can only find them online, even my LFS didn't have them... I don't think even if I ordered them they would get here in time to do much good :(

Does anyone suggest euthanising? I really feel like I should... but of course I want second and third opinions... my poor baby. :(
If you do euthanise use clove oil. it is suppose to be the most humane.

When I use peas, I feed them once a day, just a small amount the size of a soaked pellet, and then I don't feed for 48 hours.

Back
Top Bottom