Considering hillstream loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TMRC Exotics

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys. I've been considering a tank dedicated to hillstream loaches. I'm aware of their temperature, oxygen and flow reuirements. I've found mixed info on the web, could this be done with around 3-4 in a 20 long? I know a 36" tank is more desirable but the tank is 30". I can achieve the necessary flow and would like to save a few from a heated tank at my lfs. I'm not rushing into it so anyone with experience chime away. Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have zero experience with these interesting fish but I like the idea of a riverine or stream tank. I'm sure Sini will find this thread soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Should be fine if you can get the flow. I have kept these fish but found them a bit boring and very stubborn! I didn't have a specific flow tank just powerful powerhead and air stones which they loved. They are pretty fish but they don't do much really, just sit in the flow of water. They were quite resistant fish and only died when I left them in someone else's care for two weeks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Woo! Hillstream loaches are AWESOME!

Yeah, a 20 long would be fine IMO for most species. They aren't bad on bioload, it's just a matter of oxygenation. And they can be pretty active but a 20 long should be adequate. Aim for around 15x turnover per hour.

Here's what I recommend for getting the flow- super cheap to build:
River-Tank Manifold Design — Loaches Online
I haven't tested this notion, but allegedly the one-way flow makes a big difference in their behavior compared to just slapping on a bunch of powerheads.

And I would add an air pump or sponge filter to the tank as well.

You could do a small school of zebra danios as well.

What kind does your LFS have?

I have zero experience with these interesting fish but I like the idea of a riverine or stream tank. I'm sure Sini will find this thread soon...

I agree. If you get them you simply must do a build thread!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I did my gold ring hillstream tank in a 33L. 20L wasnt quite long enough to give the adequate amount of flow. Holler at sini to get the schematics for a great hillstream setup. Mine love it.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Uh.... Yeah... Im a dummy. Just saw his post. Mine are anything but boring and stubborn. They love to chase and play tag.

Lol I'm getting lots of shoutouts in this thread, I'm flattered ;)

I agree with Poppa, hillstreams are super interesting.

I dunno how much you know for hillstreams, but ask away and hopefully I can help!

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Sini- I believe the ones they have are reticulated, but I'm pretty uniformed on the loach family in general, I knew enough to inform them the tank shouldn't be heated, they didn't take me very seriously though so I'm doubting that's changed.

I'm really digging the idea, I'll start pulling pieces together to make it a reality.

I do like the manifold design, the engineer in me is already planning tweaks, just at a gravity fed siphon pressure 3/4 pvc can move 650 gph, so I can definitely simply the amount of tubing used and make it a little cleaner with no flow loss. Looks like his main reasoning for that design was stability which shouldn't be too much trouble either.

On the note of another type of fish I had really planned just the loaches, do you think any active fish in the tank would be of benefit? Almost like using them to make shy fish more comfortable? Or possibly an annoyance?

My hillstreams even liked my discus. They were temporarily there while building the manifold. They didnt even care it was 85f. They seem very very resilient.

I have the gold mountain minnows. They're so pretty, especially the long fins. Would make an awesome color contrast to the hillstreams.

Brenna

Is it sewellia lineolata? That would be ok in a 20 long IMO.

If it's not that, here's a good link for trying to figure it out, since ID'ing loaches is a massive pain.
Pictorial Species Index - Body shape Pictures. — Loaches Online

I'm not sure more fish will make too much difference; mine never seemed to care either way. But it's nice to add something to look at! I know a lot of hillstream keepers have white clouds or danios with theirs (I had zebra danios); not too many other fish can handle or appreciate the extreme flow and cool water that hillstreams do.

By the way, for the best hillstream tank you'll want big smooth rocks and a decent light or long photoperiod. Lots of algae for them to graze on will make them happy; retics can be hard to feed, at least at first! At least last I knew, most are wildcaught so they take some time to adapt to aquarium foods.

Also, be aware that a little bickering between hillstreams is pretty normal! With 3 or 4 in a 20 long you should be fine but they are mildly territorial so they will likely spat sometimes. It'll look like they're fighting to get on top of one another.

You guys are awesome. Many of the grey areas I've found in online info have been cleared up by opinions from people whose judgement I can respect. I appreciate it, diet info will be my next point of discussion once things progress, unfortunately due to new years we will likely be looking towards the 1st-3rd to home any loaches.

Sini- it's not that species but that link will be invaluable, thanks a ton.

Hey poppa, did you create a manifold type system, Particularly what gph pump did use?

Went back to the store and the manager told me two loaches had died, I hit him with the told ya so... I know I'm taking a chance here but I bought the last three immediately and tried to convince him not to get more unless they could dedicate a setup to them. They're in my qt right now while I get their tank going. I'm acclimating slowly since they've been at 78°.

Here is a pic at the store

They were all stuck on the sides at the water surface, can these guys gulp air? It's what it looked like they were doing. They were in with platys and there was next to no circulation. I didn't want to bring them home yet but I was concerned they wouldn't live otherwise.

No, they don't facilitate their breathing in any way. Poor things were probably asphyxiating in warm, low oxygen water.... Consulting the loach book for ID, brb....

Edit: Beaufortia kweichowensis. Max 4 inches, not especially aggressive. They can be a little shy if they don't have enough hiding spaces. Loach book recommends dither fish too. The good news is they take aquarium foods pretty easily!

Yep, that's it. Thanks a ton sini. They're in a rubber maid 26 gallon right now with a powerhead with a fully open air line and an air pump/bubble stone. Temp at 66°. They look a bit thin.

That's good to hear (not the 'thin' part). Looking forward to seeing these in a proper setup. Sounds like you've got great advice support here.

Back
Top Bottom