Constant Ph Crash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhino

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my tank has been going through a fishless cycle for about 1.5 months now. I have continuously dosed ammonia to 4 ppm. My test kit is an API freshwater master test kit. The temp is holding steady around 80 during the cycle. My Ph crashes every day. Every night when I run my parameters my Ph has crashed again. Out of my tap the ph is about 7.6 every night though my ph bombs to about 6.4. Why does this keep happening it has happened for about 2 weeks this way now. My ammo drops to 0 every night from 4 ppm, nitrites are about 5ppm, and nitrate is about 5ppm. What can I do to keep my ph from crashing every day so I don't have to keep doing water changes (that was the point of doing a fishless cycle) I am so ready to add fish it is killing me!

You are ready to add fish. The pH is bouncing because of the cycling process and because you're adding ammonia.

The great news is that you're finally cycled!!!! :dance:

Have you tried testing the tap water after is has "gassed" off for awhile or are you testing the tap straight from the faucet? It may be that your tap really is a lower PH than 7.6. Try filling a glass with tap water and let it set for about 4 - 6 hrs and then test it.

LyndaB said:
You are ready to add fish. The pH is bouncing because of the cycling process and because you're adding ammonia.

......how could I be cycled if I still have nitrites?

I didn't think you should add fish when you are having Nitrite readings, especially 5?

swimwithme said:
Have you tried testing the tap water after is has "gassed" off for awhile or are you testing the tap straight from the faucet? It may be that your tap really is a lower PH than 7.6. Try filling a glass with tap water and let it set for about 4 - 6 hrs and then test it.

I will try that

The thing that gets me is that when I got my 40 breeder cycled the ph only crashed like three times.

......how could I be cycled if I still have nitrites?
If your getting readings of 5ppm nitrites, its DEF not cycled yet!!! Although its common for the ph to crash while cycling, it should not be crashing daily esp with pwcs to re-establish buffers. Have you tested your GH & KH as well as testing your ph of your tap after it has gassed out? Start with your tap ph-let a bowl of tap water sit for atleast 24hrs with an airstone or bubbler then check it & let us know what the results are. You may have to consider adding Kents RO minerals or perhaps some crushed coral to help keep your water buffered to prevent crashes.

jlk said:
If your getting readings of 5ppm nitrites, its DEF not cycled yet!!! Although its common for the ph to crash while cycling, it should not be crashing daily esp with pwcs to re-establish buffers. Have you tested your GH & KH as well as testing your ph of your tap after it has gassed out? Start with your tap ph-let a bowl of tap water sit for atleast 24hrs with an airstone or bubbler then check it & let us know what the results are. You may have to consider adding Kents RO minerals or perhaps some crushed coral to help keep your water buffered to prevent crashes.

I have some tap water gassing out, now as we speak.

SOmetimes the water companies change their method so it can change PH/KH/GH of the water. Plus every tank is different. If it's dropping so often I'd add some crushed coral or crushed argonite (usually sold in the saltwater section of most fish/pet stores) into a mesh media bag or clean nylon stocking and add it to your filter to buffer the water. Start with a few pinches then add a bit more if PH continues to drop. Constant PH crashes like that can stall the cycle.

librarygirl said:
SOmetimes the water companies change their method so it can change PH/KH/GH of the water. Plus every tank is different. If it's dropping so often I'd add some crushed coral or crushed argonite (usually sold in the saltwater section of most fish/pet stores) into a mesh media bag or clean nylon stocking and add it to your filter to buffer the water. Start with a few pinches then add a bit more if PH continues to drop. Constant PH crashes like that can stall the cycle.

Thanks. I think someone was hoping you would chime in and help me lol. It is definetly stalling my cycle I have had nitrates for 2 weeks at least.

Thanks. I think someone was hoping you would chime in and help me lol. It is definetly stalling my cycle I have had nitrates for 2 weeks at least.

You mean nitrIte? The nitrite phase longer than the ammonia phase so two weeks isn't unreasonable but the coral could still be a good idea if your PH is dropping that much. Just add a small amount slowly and keep testing. Once the tank is cycled you may not need it anymore, but for now I'd try it.

librarygirl said:
You mean nitrIte? The nitrite phase longer than the ammonia phase so two weeks isn't unreasonable but the coral could still be a good idea if your PH is dropping that much. Just add a small amount slowly and keep testing. Once the tank is cycled you may not need it anymore, but for now I'd try it.

No I mean nitrates they have been here for two weeks

Could I just use some sea shells I have from the beach that have been sitting in a bowl for about a year?

Just got home a little bit ago. Just tested the ph again after doing my water change and getting the ph back to normal this morning and lo and behold we have crashed again....

Tried this ph is 7.6 after letting it gas off, also tested my other tank which tested the same. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.....I have tried doing two 75% water changes....did one tuesday night and the other wednesday night. I am normally very patient but this is just annoying...

I would try the suggestion librarygirl made about adding some crushed coral and see if that helps.

swimwithme said:
I would try the suggestion librarygirl made about adding some crushed coral and see if that helps.

Wouldn't sea shells work since that is the same thing?

Back
Top Bottom