Constipated fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marinemammalover

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a zebra danio that is showing all the signs of being constipated/ having indigestion (lying at the bottom of the tank, slightly bulging stomach, gasping for air a little). I am currently treating my whole tank for ich with the salt and heat method. I have seen both of my honey gouramis also lying on the bottom and some of the other danios but not as much as the one danio. I didn't feed my entire tank last night because I didn't know whether or not to separate the danio or to starve him for a couple days and feed him some peas until he gets better. The only other tank I have is a plastic 1.5 gallon betta bowl (uncycled). Should I try to catch and separate him or just treat the whole tank cuz some of the other fish r showing slight signs?

Does the tank have extra aeration? The warmer the water the less oxygen it contains.
You can feed peas to the entire tank then fast them all for a couple of days. If that doesn't work then you can give the effected fish a Epsom salt bath.
Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) is a laxitive. It will help constipated, bloated fish pass feces (poop). You use 1 or 2 teaspoons for each 10 gallons of tank water. Disolve the epsom salt in a cup of water and pour into tank. It should work in 2 to 4 hours. You can redose after 4 hours, but if it hasn't worked in 24 hours, it probably won't work at all.

I have increased my aeration. I currently have an air filter and a sponge filter almost at full blast plus the aeration from my power filter. That should be enough right? I will try to feed them peas tonight, I have some frozen peas how should I prepare them??

Haha never mind just saw scottyhorse's post I don't know how I skipped over it! :)

Back
Top Bottom