Constipated fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alshain

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had 2 constipated fish, I tried to feed them blanced peas and one of them eventually ate them and is now swimming around just fine. But the other one is hovering at the top and won't eat. The peas sink to fast. What should I do?

do you have a veg clip? try clipping a piece of boiled zuchini or lettuce up high to get it to try that...

I can try that when I get home from work, hopefully he makes it that long.

If you blanch the peas properly they should be very soft on the inside. You can mush it up with your fingers and then touch the water. It should cloud a bit and leave some very small pieces that your fish can hopefully get to before they sink. This works much better than a large pea that sinks to the bottom quickly.

Goodluck!

One thing I have never personally tried but thought would work in these extreme circumstances is to put the fish in a small bowl of tank water and mush up some peas. This will cloud the water and forcefeed the fish. I wouldn't go overboard with the peas, but just enough to get a nice cloudy solution. Give the fish like 10minutes or so and back into the main tank.

Again I've never done this, and do not know the stress/damage that could be done, but would imagine in a circumstance like this you need to act fast...

I'm not sure pea soup would actually "forcefeed" the fish. They breathe through their gills and eat through their mouths. Its like saying that if a human inhaled food through their nostrils that it some of it would naturally end up in their stomach.

How long has it been since he's eaten ? And which fish are they (species) ? What was their last meal and how do you know they're constipated ? maybe its internal parasites ?

Well one of them pulled out of it after eating peas (originally there were 2 with the symptoms, one ate the peas the other didnt), thats the driving reason for the diagnosis. They are xiphophorus helleri. Their last meal before the symptoms was freeze dried bloodworms, however I had to feed the others in the tanks some flake this morning and I did see him pick at that, but he won't eat his veggies.

joannde said:
I'm not sure pea soup would actually "forcefeed" the fish. They breathe through their gills and eat through their mouths. Its like saying that if a human inhaled food through their nostrils that it some of it would naturally end up in their stomach.

I don't expect it to consume a great deal of the pea, but I can guarantee you if I shot food through your nostrils some would find its way to your stomach! :D

I had 2 constipated fish, I tried to feed them blanced peas and one of them eventually ate them and is now swimming around just fine. But the other one is hovering at the top and won't eat. The peas sink to fast. What should I do?

Put them in a separate tank and add Epsom's salt. The Epsom's salt is a laxative. They don't need to eat for it to work.
The ratio is 1 tablespoon to 5 gallons of water. Do a 50% PWC every day and replace the Epsom's Salt. And like with everything else remove the carbon filter.
Don't worry about there being to much salt for FW fish. Epsom's salt is magnesium.

Back
Top Bottom