Constipation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishGirl1965

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What are the symptoms of a goldfish being constipated? I'm wondering if my fish is constipated.

Could anyone help me please? I'm starting to get very worried. Thanks.

With a goldfish they are little poop machines so if you haven't seen any poop chances are it is constipated. I am not to familiar with goldfish but with tropical fish I fast it for a couple of days and feed them a piece of pea that has been thawed and shelled. I feed my bettas a pea at least once a week and don't use freeze dried foods.

Here is a site that has a little information on goldfish constipation Goldfish constipation a problem easily solved with diet hope it helps.

Thank-you very much. I will leave her for tonight without food, and probably try the pea tomorrow.

Why do you think the fish is constipated?

If a gold fish is eating well, you should not see much poop. It is true that goldies poop lots, but "healthy" poop are short bits (1/8"-1/4") that disintegrate in the tank fairly promptly. You shouldn't see more than a few bits & pieces even in a bare bottom tank.

Now, if you see a long string of poop coming out the fish <I've seen fish trailing poop that is 2-3" long>, that would indicate constipation. Feeding peas is a great idea. <Shelled, blanched & chopped up.> So is feeding other veggies - cucumbers, zucchinis, etc. Ideally, you should be feeding veggies to Goldies every few days. <Goldies fanatics will feed home made food exclusively!> Goldfish also do better with sinking pellets rather than flakes. <For floating pellets, soak in a bit of water first till they sink.>

A symptom of more advanced constipation is swim bladder dysfunction. In this case, there is gas in the gut (from stool impaction), or possibly direct pressure on the swimbladder from the constipation. The fish will have trouble staying upright, or might have problem either staying in the bottom or at the top of the tank. Fasting for a day or so followed by peas may help. Epsom salt is needed for resistent cases.

Thanks for the help. I never did actually feed her the pea. I was wondering whether or not it was affecting her swim bladder because she had trouble getting off the bottom. However, a little while after, she seemed to be fine. Next, she floated at the top for a while, but for the last few days, she has been able to swim and stay in one spot. I have seen mucous casing feces, but no long stringy ones. Certainly not that long. I will continue to watch her, and hopefully everything will clear up and she will be fine. Thanks again!

That certainly sounded like some swimbladder dysfunction that is clearing up on its own. As prevention, you can feed the fish veggies regularly. <I try to feed veggies at least once a week.> It is good to vary the diet from just the pellets, and the fish love it!

Last night, I found what seemed like a casing that was about 1" - 2" long floating on the top of the water. It wasn't trailing behind the fish, so I'm not sure which one it came from. (We have two) I have seen the other fish poop many times, but have not seen the first one poop for some time. Is it usually too fast, and unless you are watching the fish you will miss it? I'm very nervous to feed the fish a pea. I've never done this before, and certainly am not experienced. Can the fish be allergic to it, or can it make it sick? Are any fish allergic to it?

I don't believe you will have to worry about the fish getting sick from the pea. I've certainly never heard of a fish being allergic to peas. Nuke the pea, skin the pea and give the fish the pea. Don't worry, nothing to be worried about.

Back
Top Bottom