Conversation with a new fishkeeper.... paying it forward

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LyndaB

Aquarium Advice Addict
Last night, I stopped at my fave mom & pop lfs to pick up some corys I saw there earlier in the week. They were super busy! It's only a 2 person shop at any time and last night, there was one kinda experienced guy and one virgin salesman and there were loads of customers.

I was watching the corys while I waited my turn and started chatting with this young man who looked a little overwhelmed. Turns out, he'd brought a water sample in to be tested. He started a fishless cycle about a month ago.

He didn't know what kind of fish he wanted. Being in college, it's your typical 10 gallon tank. I walked the aisles with him looking at all the fish, going over what would work well and what wouldn't and why it wouldn't. We talked about test kits and readings and stocking. I told him about this site and that gathering info from other fishkeepers is the best thing to do. He was like a sponge and I know he'll be a great fishkeeper.

It was such fun to feel like I'd taken someone new under my wing and made the experience a little more interesting for him. Next time you see a lost soul in your busy lfs, start a conversation. You never know where it will lead.

You might just pay it forward. :flowers:

Last night, I stopped at my fave mom & pop lfs to pick up some corys I saw there earlier in the week. They were super busy! It's only a 2 person shop at any time and last night, there was one kinda experienced guy and one virgin salesman and there were loads of customers.

I was watching the corys while I waited my turn and started chatting with this young man who looked a little overwhelmed. Turns out, he'd brought a water sample in to be tested. He started a fishless cycle about a month ago.

He didn't know what kind of fish he wanted. Being in college, it's your typical 10 gallon tank. I walked the aisles with him looking at all the fish, going over what would work well and what wouldn't and why it wouldn't. We talked about test kits and readings and stocking. I told him about this site and that gathering info from other fishkeepers is the best thing to do. He was like a sponge and I know he'll be a great fishkeeper

It was such fun to feel like I'd taken someone new under my wing and made the experience a little more interesting for him. Next time you see a lost soul in your busy lfs, start a conversation. You never know where it will lead.

You might just pay it forward. :flowers:

That's awesome! Must have been loads of fun! :)

I LOVE helping others at the lfs. Since im so young they are usually pretty shocked that i know much at all.

The other day someone walked into the lfs sw section and so did another man. Then the owner came. The first guy asked what all these weird little plants on his rocks were. He said that he has heard about killing them with hot water. Nobody knew but then my bro and i came in telling them that its apistia. It was pretty funny to see their faces lol

Nice job btw lynda!! That was probably so helpful. You should keep in contact with him so you can see how his tank goes!

I tried that once. But the girl acted like I was a weirdo, and didn't want to hear that she needed a test kit and that her 30 gallon uncycled tank wasn't appropriate for the Denisons barbs she had her eye on. I seriously tried really hard to not be overbearing. She just didnt want to hear that it's not as easy as throwing whatever fish are pretty in the tank. Glad you found that guy so receptive LyndaB.

Back
Top Bottom