Convert 15g tank to a reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

M1cky69

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi there I'm contemplating moving my fish out my 15 gallon freshwater tank and moving into a less nicer 15 gallon and converting the better tank into a reef tank with maybe a clown and a cleaner shrimp nano tank.

What extra kit will I need? I know I'll have to gut the tank, get crushed coral as substrate and I local fish shop sells heated ro water with salt pre mixed very cheap which is PAC solved, just what extra kit do I need for a reef and fish tank that size? Will I need protein skimmers? Upgrade filtration? I got a fluval u2 filter at the mo, my light will need upgrading for deffo but will I need 2 bulbs? So many questions but wanna get it right!

I have small knowledge of saltwater tanks but equipment I'm not sure on and whether things are needed or recommended! Don't want more than a clown and cleaner as it's only a small tank!

"fish are friends, not food"

You need Live sand (or crushed coral if that is what you prefer) Some live rock, a tank that size does not need a protein skimmer just keep up on your water changes. For a reef tank rule of of thumb for lighting is 3-5 watts per gallon. First and foremost get a salt water test kit! Good luck

You can get a new small tank for very little. Why go through the trouble of moving things. Just buy a new tank... my lfs sells tanks $1/gallon sometimes.

Just.A.Bit.Salty said:
You need Live sand (or crushed coral if that is what you prefer) Some live rock, a tank that size does not need a protein skimmer just keep up on your water changes. For a reef tank rule of of thumb for lighting is 3-5 watts per gallon. First and foremost get a salt water test kit! Good luck

That include a salinity check? Cheers for that as I was looking at protein skimmers an all, that size would be ok to house a clown and cleaner wouldn't it? Oh and how often and how much would you do for a pwc?

Well I do a 30% every week sometimes every two weeks, some would say that's a little much but that is just me, keeps my corals happy. With a smaller tank like that a lot of people have success doing the small water change more often rather than a big water change every once in a while. such as 5 gallons a week. Your bio-load will be pretty small so I'm sure you could keep up with 5 gallons every two weeks. And yea the clown and cleaner shrimp will be fine.

Just.A.Bit.Salty said:
Well I do a 30% every week sometimes every two weeks, some would say that's a little much but that is just me, keeps my corals happy. With a smaller tank like that a lot of people have success doing the small water change more often rather than a big water change every once in a while. such as 5 gallons a week. Your bio-load will be pretty small so I'm sure you could keep up with 5 gallons every two weeks. And yea the clown and cleaner shrimp will be fine.

Good good thanks for the advice you saved me money and steered me in the right direction, do is there nothing else tank equipment I'll need apart from the lighting upgrade?

Um the only other thing I can think of now is some sort of a powerhead because you will need some water movement for the corals

Just.A.Bit.Salty said:
Um the only other thing I can think of now is some sort of a powerhead because you will need some water movement for the corals

Wouldn't the fluval u2 filter provide enough movement on the bottom setting? If not I'll look into it? Any recommendations with make and models?

Yea I forgot how small the tank was, yea the filter should be plenty enough flow, and if not you will be able to tell later on once your corals are in the tank. If you do need one I would suggest a koralia nano.

Just.A.Bit.Salty said:
Yea I forgot how small the tank was, yea the filter should be plenty enough flow, and if not you will be able to tell later on once your corals are in the tank. If you do need one I would suggest a koralia nano.

Thanks I'll keep that one in mind! I've heard here and there that nano tanks are harder to keep, is this true? If so why? :)

Just because you have less room for error. Less water volume means if something bad gets into your tank it's harder to control because it can over take everything in a smaller amount of time. I had a 10 gallon seahorse tank with no problems at all, It's really not as hard like others say unless you try to cram a whole bunch of stuff in there you don't have room for.

Just.A.Bit.Salty said:
Just because you have less room for error. Less water volume means if something bad gets into your tank it's harder to control because it can over take everything in a smaller amount of time. I had a 10 gallon seahorse tank with no problems at all, It's really not as hard like others say unless you try to cram a whole bunch of stuff in there you don't have room for.

Nah that's y I'm only sticking to 1 fish and 1 crustacean, I love the movement of corals and they are my main things I want, like the fish just cause the mrs don't get having coral only and daughter has just found finding nemo lol! Everyone wins then. Are there any other clean up crew I can get that will aid to the cleaning with not much bio load? And congrats on the seahorse tank, heard they are one of the hardest to keep in a home aquarium

Just.A.Bit.Salty said:
Oh I see lol, You can add some little hermit crabs and some snails to take care of the dirty work.

The cleaner I can keep it the better as want them to be very healthy :) got a batboy reading ahead of me then lol

Steer clear of crushed coral if someone didn't already mention.

Get aragonite sand. It helps buffer PH. CC traps detritus and raises nitrates.

PrettyFishies said:
Steer clear of crushed coral if someone didn't already mention.

Get aragonite sand. It helps buffer PH. CC traps detritus and raises nitrates.

Oh right I thought crushed coral was ok, I'll keep that in mind too cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom