Convert 20g FW planted to SW reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snailsareboring

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all!

I originally came to aquarium advice to get help in putting together a 20g planted tank. Thanks to all the advice I received it came out beautifully, with plants and fish all flourishing. I had to dismantle it however, due to complaints from the person I was living with and my moving out. :(

Since the move, I have become enamored with marine livestock, especially coral. I am in the process of acquiring a 55g from Craigslist, but I figured since the 20g is empty, I could create a nano reef with it until I get the 55.

The 20 is up and running without fish because I originally planned on setting up another freshwater planted. It currently has a substrate of Caribsea floramax mixed with Caribsea naturals sand, and a few plants and bulbs. I also have a marineland penguin 200 running with a floramax t8 bulb on a 10 hour timer.

I was wondering if any of these things would work for a nano reef. I am still doing my research on nano reefs before I just jump into it, but I didn't see much info on converting for planted freshwater to reef. I know there's still a lot I need to acquire, but if I can use the some of the equipment I already have that would be great.

I was also thinking of stocking with a clean up crew of snails, maybe a few hermits, 2 ocellaris clowns and three blue damsels. Aqadvisor.com says this is ok for my tank but I want to be sure and I am asking the experts.

Sorry for the long post, but any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks very much in advance.

Sadly, there isn't a lot you can use to transfer over to a reef.

The lighting is the biggest issue if you are wanting a reef tank. Your t8 lighting isn't nearly powerful enough for corals. I had 2 t5ho bulbs over my 20g high reef for about 4 months and it was enough to grow mushrooms and zoanthids. I recently upgraded to a 120w LED fixture and couldn't be happier.

The substrate you have will probably work, but I would suggest that you upgrade to an aragonite sand. The planted substrates are made to trap as much nutrients in it as possible and that's not something that's desirable in a salt water tank as it will cause nutrient and algae issues.

Your filter will work but it might be a good idea to add an extra powerhead in the tank just to create some more dynamic flow. I would suggest the hydor koralia powerheads personally. They are very good and also very affordable.

As for stocking a 20g tank, I wouldn't do more than 3 fish for a tank. You could probably safely increase that number to 4 if you added a refugium to the tank. I would stay away from the damsels as they are very aggressive fish and impossible to catch once they are in the tank. Have you looked at gobys or a firefish?

Have you thought about a refugium?

Back
Top Bottom