Converting a 10 gallon and a 5 gallon to planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

batmansocks117

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been spending a lot of time looking at pictures of people's awesome planted tanks, and now I want my tanks to be just as awesome. =) I've been doing some research but I'm still a bit confused on some things. For substrate both tanks have sand in them right now, would I need to take that out and switch over to eco-complete or a substrate like that? Or could I use fertilizers to push into the sand near the plants?

I'm also really confused as to what to do with lighting. What would I need for a 10 gallon? The hood I have now has little lights that hardly light up the aquarium, so I definitely need a new hood, but I'm not looking to break the bank on anything. What's a good solution to this? I've been looking at some glass covers and fixtures that go above that, but I'm so confused. I found a Nova Extreme Pro T5HO 20in light fixture and lights on craigslist and I know these fixtures are usually super expensive and this one is only $60, would this be too powerful for a 10 gallon or would this work? For my 5 gallon I'm planning on sticking to some low light plants and maybe upgrading the bulb to a higher wattage one (I'm using the stock light now).

I'm planning on doing DIY CO2 for both tanks. I have java fern, anubias, anacharis, and ludwigia repens (which isn't do so well) now, does anyone have any suggestions for some other plants I could use that are fast growing and will fill in both tanks?

I'll attach some photos of the tanks now. I plan on keeping the pirate skull and crocodile skull in the 10 gallon, and in the 5 gallon I'm planning on getting some Doctor Who themed decorations (because Doctor Who is awesome) =P

Attachments

• IMG_0871.jpg
    IMG_0871.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0870.jpg
    IMG_0870.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 121
I've been spending a lot of time looking at pictures of people's awesome planted tanks, and now I want my tanks to be just as awesome. =) I've been doing some research but I'm still a bit confused on some things. For substrate both tanks have sand in them right now, would I need to take that out and switch over to eco-complete or a substrate like that? Or could I use fertilizers to push into the sand near the plants?

I'm also really confused as to what to do with lighting. What would I need for a 10 gallon? The hood I have now has little lights that hardly light up the aquarium, so I definitely need a new hood, but I'm not looking to break the bank on anything. What's a good solution to this? I've been looking at some glass covers and fixtures that go above that, but I'm so confused. I found a Nova Extreme Pro T5HO 20in light fixture and lights on craigslist and I know these fixtures are usually super expensive and this one is only $60, would this be too powerful for a 10 gallon or would this work? For my 5 gallon I'm planning on sticking to some low light plants and maybe upgrading the bulb to a higher wattage one (I'm using the stock light now).

I'm planning on doing DIY CO2 for both tanks. I have java fern, anubias, anacharis, and ludwigia repens (which isn't do so well) now, does anyone have any suggestions for some other plants I could use that are fast growing and will fill in both tanks?

I'll attach some photos of the tanks now. I plan on keeping the pirate skull and crocodile skull in the 10 gallon, and in the 5 gallon I'm planning on getting some Doctor Who themed decorations (because Doctor Who is awesome) =P

Okay, so doing some more research I realize those lights are probably way too bright (and it seems they are more for saltwater tanks and growing corals) If I did two CFLs in clip on lamps would that be enough to grow just about everything?

Okay, so doing some more research I realize those lights are probably way too bright (and it seems they are more for saltwater tanks and growing corals) If I did two CFLs in clip on lamps would that be enough to grow just about everything?

You would be surprised at just how much light it takes to grow plants. I am building my own LED light for my 10g tank. Including S&H it will cost me about $120 for 8 LEDs, lenses, driver, homemade heat sink, wiring, and other miscellaneous odds and ends. Just the lights and driver was $90, I'll let you know how it is when its running by the end of the week.

Two regular t5 lights would probably be just fine on a 10g but most likely you will need to replace the bulbs which can run 10-15 a piece

I use glass versa tops on my 10s, 20 and 29g tanks with clamp on work lights from the hardware store. I use 13w and 23w CFLs in the fixtures.

Ooohh.. I'm gonna pick one of those up as soon as I get paid. =D Would the 20in be enough for most plants? Also should I change out some of the substrate or use root tabs?

Thanks for the reply =)

No. You do not have to change the substrate. However, you will need liquid/root tab ferts. If you want, you can get some dirt/Eco substrate and mix it with the sand.

What is the plant in the bottom left corner? ( it kinda looks like an open flower )

It's a little rosette sword that stays small. As soon as I planted it, it started putting on more leaves. The rosette expands but it doesn't get any taller.

Got it from my LFS.

It's a little rosette sword that stays small. As soon as I planted it, it started putting on more leaves. The rosette expands but it doesn't get any taller.

Got it from my LFS.

A rosette sword? Never heard of one of those but it looks really cool! I'll see if online has it.

Back
Top Bottom