Converting a 20 gallon freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlanneryLoach

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am moving this summer at which point I would like to convert my 20 gallon tank to saltwater. I know that this is a very small saltwater set-up but it's all I have for now! I have been keeping a few small tropical, freshwater tanks for years so I have the basics of fish keeping down. I think I am ready to enjoy a saltwater system. I am completely lost, however.

It would help a great deal if I could get a detailed list of the equipment I will need. Naturally, I have a tank, lid, heater, and filter. I know I will need a hydrometer, live rock, and live sand, but I am confused about the powerheads. How many will I need for a 20 gallon? Do I have to position them a certain way?

Would I be able to keep 1-2 small, peaceful fish in such a small tank or should I just keep one? How many crabs and sea stars could I put in a tank this size? Are there any other interesting life forms I should consider?

Thanks in advance for your advice! I would like to educate myself as much as possible before the conversion three months from now.

Back
Top Bottom