Converting from FW to SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow ok, I think I'll have to Google for more SW articles, the ones on this website isn't enough. If the local tap water is too dirty, can I use Brita filtered water?

Good luck. Nix the biocube and grab the largest tank you can afford. In SW the more water you've got the harder it is to screw up. EDIT: (well this is the case with all types of set ups but in sw especially)

If this is not going to be a reef tank filtered water might be OK but if anenomes or reef then you`ll need RO or RO/DI water.

Good luck. Nix the biocube and grab the largest tank you can afford. In SW the more water you've got the harder it is to screw up. EDIT: (well this is the case with all types of set ups but in sw especially)

I'm going to start looking. If I find a big tank, I should probably wait before setting it up, because I'm moving to Princeton in a few months. Don't want to have to set it up, then tear it down for the move, then set it up again.

The larger Biocubes are pretty stable. I would look on craigslist or your local club, a lot of people are getting out and getting rid of tanks for cheap.

Aq, I think you have to supplement corals. If I remember right, someone told me a while back that certain mushrooms didn't need supplements, and that pwc's would give them what they need.

Oh, ok. I guess it must have been, don't supplement if you can't test for it first lol. That way, you don't overdose I guess haha. Thanks for clearin that up :)

The larger Biocubes are pretty stable. I would look on craigslist or your local club, a lot of people are getting out and getting rid of tanks for cheap.

Are the lights on most BioCubes sufficient for corals? I'm really concerned about lighting because for my FW tank I just grabbed the combo light/hood from Petsmart, but should have gotten something in the mid/higher end so that I can have more than just a few types of plants.

The standard lights on the cubes are enough light for low to mid range coral. Zoanthids, shrooms, and other softies will be fine along with some LPS. Some real low light SPS will do alright, but don't expect anything stunning.

What kind of corals do you want?

I have no idea, hardy ones would be good. What corals will I be looking at given those stock lights?

I'm looking at the corals on liveaquaria.com and they all look very nice. Everything for SW seems to be 10x more expensive than FW though, must not make mistakes this time :D

yes, SW is quite a bit more expensive. Be sure to look at LiveAquarias suggestions of lighting and flow. They are usually quite accurate. I would stay away from most SPS with that stock lighting, except for some things like birdsnest and some stylos

Back
Top Bottom