Converting From Saltwater to Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rejoice

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, I'm in the process of selling off my saltwater livestock and would like to take the plunge into Lake Malawi Cichlids.

From my 90 gallon SW tank, I've determined from other posts that I can keep my Crushed Coral / Argonite sand as long as I clean it thoroughly and my Tufa base rock as long as I boil them.

Now, my questions...
1. Is my beast of a protein skimmer useful for Cichlids?
2. Can you convert mangroves from saltwater life to freshwater? Any tips if you can?

In SW, there is zillions of books but the crown jewel is easily The Contentious Marine Aquarist...is there a crown jewel of books for Cichlids Keeping?

I appreciate your help.

Jess

1. No on the skimmer, won't work at all in freshwater.

2. Mangroves can grow in freshwater, but I don't know if they need to be "acclimated". I don't think they do...but not 100% positive.

Sorry I can't help on the book or any other cichlid info.

Protein skimmers just don't do much in freshwater set-ups.

There are a lot of great cichlid books, but none I'd compare to the Fenner book. If you're looking for a good over-view of all cichlid types, I'd suggest "Enjoying Cichlids". Otherwise, just take a look at the many available and see which look the most interesting to you.

Back
Top Bottom