Converting old tank to a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lezned16

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would like to convert a gravel bottom 55 to a planted tank. Is this possible with just the gravel I have in the tank? I really don't want to get into co2. Any advice would be helpful.

I would like to convert a gravel bottom 55 to a planted tank. Is this possible with just the gravel I have in the tank? I really don't want to get into co2. Any advice would be helpful.
Yes you can plant into gravel, and you will need co2 for most plants (at least liquid Co2 and ferts)

Yes you can plant into gravel, and you will need co2 for most plants (at least liquid Co2 and ferts)

You can have lush planted tank with no ferts or co2. A lot of aquarium plants don't need co2. Also it's liquid carbon, no liquid co2.

If you have correct low lighting and good PWC schedule you can grow quite a few hardy plants.
A. What light bulbs are you using??
If they are over a year old, you should swap them out anyway. If we know what you have we can advice what to buy if needed.

A low tech aquarium doesn't always need a Carbon source, but Excel liquid Carbon will grow plants faster. If you don't want to add CO2 gas. Ferts are the best way to keep your plants flourishing esp in a poor substrate like gravel. Gravel does work. But dosing liquid Ferts weekly might get expensive for a big tank so using dry Ferts is cheapest in the long run. There are several sites that can help. I also use root tabs if I'm growing Swords or Crypts as they are heavy root feeders. None of this is hard or super expensive. If you just want Java Ferns you might be able to just tie those down and leave it.

B. What fish do you have or plan to add ?? Some will destroy plants.

Thanks for replies. To answer the the 2 questions:

A. I looked at the bulb that is in the 4 ft fixture and all it says is all aquarium. So it will prolly need replacing for sure

B. right now there are 5 large angelfish and 2 bristlenose pleco and 1 cory cat.

Back
Top Bottom