Converting to sand.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greater-Ajax

Aquarium Advice Regular
So,I have never used sand before, nor do I know anyone who does.I want to convert my gravel to sand.

What should I be looking out for? Would it work with my Convicts and my pleco? filters? cleaning?

I have sand in some tanks and rock in others. The number one rule...rinse rinse rinse and when you're done, rinse some more!!
Also when you're adding it to the tank, shut off your filters. Sand will ruin a filter RIGHT now! Cleaning is easy. I stick my syphon hose down in it just like I do the rock. Sometimes a little gets sucked out but not enough to worry about.

Greater-Ajax said:
So,I have never used sand before, nor do I know anyone who does.I want to convert my gravel to sand.

What should I be looking out for? Would it work with my Convicts and my pleco? filters? cleaning?

Good move. I switched to sand and prefer it. Do as lady says and you'll be good to go.

I used carib sea cichlid substrate and love it, but pool filter sand and play sand are popular and cheap.

How big is the tank you're doing?

Heck yes! It is pure white tho, kinda dissapointed about that, Im afraid it will wash my fish out... Thinking about picking up some black blasting sand and mixing it... Only problem is they only sell it in 50# bags around here and I dont need that much... But then again I could have a back up... maybe for another build :)

Heck yes! It is pure white tho, kinda dissapointed about that, Im afraid it will wash my fish out... Thinking about picking up some black blasting sand and mixing it... Only problem is they only sell it in 50# bags around here and I dont need that much... But then again I could have a back up... maybe for another build :)

Oh, I can already tell.....there WILL be another build...lol. :D

To the OP....I love my sand. I have a tank with pool filter sand and a tank with blasting sand. Very easy to clean compared to gravel! :)

Oh, I can already tell.....there WILL be another build...lol. :D

To the OP....I love my sand. I have a tank with pool filter sand and a tank with blasting sand. Very easy to clean compared to gravel! :)
Most definitely! Gonna have to sweet talk the ol' man tho :brows: He isnt to keen on all the attention the tank gets at the moment haha

Sand has it's pros and cons. Overall I prefer it and it would work nice with the fish you keep.

White sand looks nice, especially when you have tannins in the water from driftwood. The only issue you may experience is that plecos can stir it up quite a bit as they waddle around. I've always used caribsea aragonite sand, which I am very happy with.

I use the black diamond blasting sand and love it. I always keep a piece of pantyhose covering my intakes just incase some gets sucked in. I've got to much money in my filters to risk tearing them up.

I use pool filter sand. Looks really good and is easy to maintain. Also it seems not to stay stirred up that long.

Its a lot easier if you remove all the water IMO. That way you can get what ever waste is under the gravel out before you put the sand in.

boadams87 said:
I use the black diamond blasting sand and love it. I always keep a piece of pantyhose covering my intakes just incase some gets sucked in. I've got to much money in my filters to risk tearing them up.

Great idea! I was thinking pantyhose and a sponge over top of that... Would that be too much? Like you I have $ invested :) plus if I decide to do another build I could use the sponges to seed the other tank... Right?

Make sure you pour your water over a plate or something else so the water isn't hitting directly into the sand. It will be much less cloudy that way. I always wait at least 4 hours before turning my filters back on after water is added to new sand.

Malawi Freak said:
Make sure you pour your water over a plate or something else so the water isn't hitting directly into the sand. It will be much less cloudy that way. I always wait at least 4 hours before turning my filters back on after water is added to new sand.

I do same thing

Malawi Freak said:

Doesn't that make the bacteria in your filter crash?

Fishies86 said:
Doesn't that make the bacteria in your filter crash?

To which are you asking? The filter should still have water in it while you are waiting to turn it on just like when you shut them off to do a water change.

okay,thanks everyone.

I am not sure of what colour or brand I am going to get. But will post when I get it.

How much do you suggest getting for a 30 gallon, that's really tall and kind of long?

okay,thanks everyone.

I am not sure of what colour or brand I am going to get. But will post when I get it.

How much do you suggest getting for a 30 gallon, that's really tall and kind of long?
I think the 1-2 lb per gallon rule still applies with sand... But I could be totally wrong ;)

Last edited:
Pick up 1 bag of 50lb pool filter sand (I like the brand lighthouse due to the natural color) and judge from there, you won't need the whole bag but aim for 2 1/2 - 3"

Malawi Freak said:
To which are you asking? The filter should still have water in it while you are waiting to turn it on just like when you shut them off to do a water change.

doesn't the bacteria start dying as soon as there is no oxygen or water flow going through the filter? I know you can turn the filters off for a bit, but I would have thought that four hours would kill off a substantial amount of bacteria? I'm just asking (not criticising) coz im thinking of doing the same as the op :)

Back
Top Bottom