Convict cichlid and tiger barbs problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrisA

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently set up a 20-gallon freshwater aquarium and the first fish I introduced into it was a small convict cichlid (was this my first mistake?). After a couple days I was already worried, because although the water parameters all tested safe, the cichlid didn't seem very active, and just hid inside a rock formation. I then read that they can be shy and if they see no other fish in the tank, they will hide as they don't think it safe to swim about. So I introduced 2 tiger barbs into the tank (which might have been a mistake, the more I read about it), one of which is clearly alpha, spending most of his time chasing the other around, and occasionally bullying the cichlid, although the cichlid always holds his ground. However, over the past few days, the cichlid doesn't appear to be interested in eating and just stays resting along the gravel, and every once in a while tips slightly to one side. I'm not sure if he's sick or if the tiger barb's bullying is stressing him out, or both? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Who, you? What would give you the impression I was one? Lol If you think I'm a troll because I've made obvious mistakes or am asking very elementary questions, you're assuming too much - I'm just a noob, not a troll :)

Oh,ok.. you'll want to rehome all.those fish and figure out a better plan for that 20 gal.

Rehome both the cichlid and barbs. If you want barbs you can go with a smaller cherry or gold barbs. Neon tetras or black neons are a good fish for a 20 gallon. I had pristella tetras (7 of them) in mine when I had it set up. Rasboras are also a good beginner fish you could look into.

Rehome both the cichlid and barbs. If you want barbs you can go with a smaller cherry or gold barbs. Neon tetras or black neons are a good fish for a 20 gallon. I had pristella tetras (7 of them) in mine when I had it set up. Rasboras are also a good beginner fish you could look into.
So a 20-gallon tank is just too small for either tiger barbs or convict cichlids? Thank you for the suggestions :)

You might be able to do 5 tiger barbs but you would have to have a ton of plants. They are fairly aggressive though. All the other fish I mentioned are peaceful and you could fo s small centerpiece fish like a betta or dwarf gourami.

You might be able to do 5 tiger barbs but you would have to have a ton of plants. They are fairly aggressive though. All the other fish I mentioned are peaceful and you could fo s small centerpiece fish like a betta or dwarf gourami.
Ok, I very much appreciate the advice, thanks!

Very helpful, I can see why you have the reputation you do!
Come on... you stand in a fish store and stare at fish.. just pull out the phone and google search them. It's not a big ask. I've made some stupid impulse buys too. I guess I was being a bit of an old fussy goat but it just seems so redundant.. tiger barbs are notoriously horrible. The convict was a fair mistake. Basic care has them in a 30gal. This is fine if you want to do the work. I've seen an absolute unit of a convict in a pizza shop tank, 29 gal, looked great, biggest over ever seen!! I asked what the secret was?? Guy said he changed water and fed it left over bacon crumbles.. I too love bacon and am rather large so the logic was there.
What's this reputation I have haha. I'm a cranky fish nerd that speaks in short, brash, poorly typed posts? I do know a thing or two though.
Let the tank cycle with the barbs and pick a plan, something you wont regret. Moving impulse around gets old after a while;) ask the green spotted puffers how I feel about them?? Fat little shrimp eating donkeys..

Tiger Barbs do best in at least 30g and the larger the group the better.

20 Tiger Barbs in a 55g look great.

Convicts ? They are cute babies and very hardy. BUT the minute you have opposite sexes they will pair up, attempt to attack the rest of the tank and have babies. The first time it’s fun, the babies are very cute. But they are great parents and it’s hard to even give away Convicts. Except as fish food and who wants to give away their cute baby fish as food ?

Back
Top Bottom