convict craziness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haleybeth30

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think my cons are tearing eachother new ones... first fish tail is missing, second fish half his tail gone and seems scales missing on his head. They are in with a JD, but from what I've seen pretty sure they are doing this to eachother. So, I'm overstocked with JD FM, jewel, and 2 cons in a 55g. I have plans for the rest of fish, their needs will be met. My original plan was to cycle 30g for the cons (it's close to done, any day now!) but now with them acting like this not sure what to do.. Would you put 1 con and the FM in 30g? (once he grows out a little fm goes in my 125) then leave other con with jd and jewel? (JD will get 75g when I upgrade my peacock tank. Either work my jewel into peacock tank, I know iffy, or have it in the 55, maybe make it a pair...) Anyway, should I try my cons in the 30 with good hiding spots or separate them before it's too late? thanks!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130812_215429.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130812_215429.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 54
  • ForumRunner_20130812_215823.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130812_215823.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 50
I have never had this aggression problem with my convicts I bought them as small fry & now mostly fully grown however another one of my cichlids did have tail ripped when first introduced & now it's fully grown back

image-2495549398.jpg

I think my cons are tearing eachother new ones... first fish tail is missing, second fish half his tail gone and seems scales missing on his head. They are in with a JD, but from what I've seen pretty sure they are doing this to eachother. So, I'm overstocked with JD FM, jewel, and 2 cons in a 55g. I have plans for the rest of fish, their needs will be met. My original plan was to cycle 30g for the cons (it's close to done, any day now!) but now with them acting like this not sure what to do.. Would you put 1 con and the FM in 30g? (once he grows out a little fm goes in my 125) then leave other con with jd and jewel? (JD will get 75g when I upgrade my peacock tank. Either work my jewel into peacock tank, I know iffy, or have it in the 55, maybe make it a pair...) Anyway, should I try my cons in the 30 with good hiding spots or separate them before it's too late? thanks!

You're not overstocked right now. You may be when they are full size, but I imagine that tank is quite bare based on the pictures. You could always try a divider if there is a problem, but usually enough space and tank decoration is a big factor.

you're saying I could keep them all together longer if I add more cover/hiding spaces. When this started, I added the car and 4 or 5 little rock caves, but I never really see any of them in the caves. Maybe a floating plant?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130813_131643.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130813_131643.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 45
  • ForumRunner_20130813_131727.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130813_131727.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 37
you're saying I could keep them all together longer if I add more cover/hiding spaces. When this started, I added the car and 4 or 5 little rock caves, but I never really see any of them in the caves. Maybe a floating plant?

That may help. When it comes to tank design, breaking the line of sight can make a difference. Driftwood and plants are good ways to build up into the water column to break the line of sight.

I am a little surprised to hear about convicts fighting so much in a tank that size.

That may help. When it comes to tank design, breaking the line of sight can make a difference. Driftwood and plants are good ways to build up into the water column to break the line of sight.

I am a little surprised to hear about convicts fighting so much in a tank that size.

maybe it is my jack, I'm not positive it's the cons fighting. This tank is in my kitchen, so I don't get to watch these guys as often as the others. I will try to find some things to break line of site.. will also carry this over to my 75g peacock/hap tank.. same problem

well, I haven't made it out to the lfs yet to get plants or other things to change my set up, but I will. I'm posting because the problem seems to have resolved itself! (at least for now) no more injuries, seems that tails are growing back, and every time I look in the tank, which is often, both cons are out and swimming together or with the others!! crazy fishies, did they just have to have it out one time (hopefully) to establish a pecking order or what lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130814_191239.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130814_191239.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 35
  • ForumRunner_20130814_191504.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130814_191504.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 30

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom