convict question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pookie71384

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a single convict and it looks like its making the pits in the gravel...moving gravel out the way with its head...do male and females do this or only females?

I've seen male convicts dig giant holes in gravel. I've seen holes down to the glass, with 8 inch piles of gravel on all sides!

How large is your convict and have you reliably sexes it? Convicts are pretty easy, with the females having orange spots on the belly.

when it comes to sexing this convict I'm confused...it has about three little specs of orange on the stomach...has pointy fins like a male...has the attitude of a male...I'm very confused

The pointed fins theory doesn't seem to be 100% accurate. I think the orange spots on the belly are more indicative of the sex being female.

How large is the convict? Mine didn't show orange spots until about 2 inches. She's 3 inches now and still hasn't laid eggs.

mines is about two inches..maybe two and a half inches...so you think its a female since it does have somewhat orange coloration on the stomach?

cool...thanks a lot... brought back the mayan cichlid I got...didn't want to take no chances with the mayan and my convict fighting in the long run...my convict is beautiful...has all her.fins...getting bigger everyday...I've had her for a week and a half now and she's grown a inch and a half...maybe two inches...she's not the type of convict that's roundish...she's the longer looking type...you think a bichor eel would go fine with her?...I always wanted one of those

I've never owned a Bichir or any other type of eel, so I can't speak from personal experience on this one.

What type of Bichir? Maybe some one else could help with this question, but they will need to know which species you are looking at.

Back
Top Bottom