Convict tank mate help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zippo1313

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello help I want to know what I can put in with my convicts I have a 55 tank I really like red terrors and jacks but son know what I can put in there with the rest.s

I would only pick one central or south American cichlid to go with a convict otherwise you will be overstocked

If you have a breeding pair, i would say it would be a risk to put anything in with them!

If you have a couple of females, you have options. A firemouth, JD, blue acara or maybe a severum could work, and put some robust barbs and catfish with them. Its always a bit hit and miss with those types of fish though, so monitor closely.

A bristlenose pleco is the only catfish I would add. For barbs I would add gold or rosy barbs.

Unfortunately I have 3 mated pairs till I find some one to get rid of some of them really want either a jack dem or a red terror to set off the tank that is if I can find one in northern ohio

I have a 56 gallon tank and have had 2 jds and a convict for 3 years now now problem with other tank mates. The convict minds his business and the jds don't bother him.

Is your convict male or female? I had a male that was so aggressive that he almost killed my jd and terror. I had to rehome him. Just have a backup plan. I think I had a crazy one though.

Hi Candice! That's my name as well and spelled with an "I" too!! My convict is female. I have only ever owned females and they mind their business usually. Might be because my tank is large though.

A female jack Dempsey would work. Red terrors get far too big and are way too aggressive for a 55 gal tank with convicts. A pair of Firemouth would also work but pay close attention at breeding time. You could also do some tetras or danios for a little more action/movement in the tank. Good luck.

I have 4 convicts a jack Dempsey and a rainbow shark in my 75 doing just fine if you need a bottom feeder something that is semi aggressive or has natural armour like a pleco or rapheal would do good to

So onto the loaches Dang I was hoping I might be able to put maybe some clown loaches or hill stream loaches I just really like them guess they will be for the next tank

The problem with cons is they get super super aggressive when they spawn and they will. Most bottom feeders will try to eat the eggs at night and the cons will tear them up if they aren't a tough fish

So onto the loaches Dang I was hoping I might be able to put maybe some clown loaches or hill stream loaches I just really like them guess they will be for the next tank

Clown Loaches are a non-starter. They need to be in groups of 4 or more and would mean you need at least a 125 gallon tank.

Yea don't I know it about the aggression my dumb butt has 3 mated pairs in a 55

Good to know I'm trying to find a 180 now so guess I got to wait till then for clowns

Back
Top Bottom