convict tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big.Jon

Aquarium Advice Activist
Haven't researched much into these, just seen a few of them forsale locally. Just wanted to know what kinda tank mates would be possible. Would kenyi be ok mates guessing thats wishfull thinking but oh well. The convicts are not a must but they caught my attention nice looking fish.

Mixing South American and Africans is not a good idea due to different aggression levels especially at when breeding, diet, and water conditions.

HUKIT said:
Mixing South American and Africans is not a good idea due to different aggression levels especially at when breeding, diet, and water conditions.

Thanks Hukit. Why even do research when I know you will throw me an answer within 10 minutes lol. J/k I like doing the research.

Convicts can be some nasty tempered little snots so you'll want something that can handle them.

Firemouths, JDs, Green Terrors, and Texas cichlids can go with them (normally)

What I found that worked for me in the past is getting the most aggressive ones smaller than the lesser aggressive ones.

Also rearranging their tank as you add fish or do regular maintenance (also if you see aggression while enjoying your tank) tends to mess up their sense of territory.

i would probably get some about the same temperament like DragonFish71 said i would get fire mouths of green terrors....although i have 9 in a species tank and they are funny to watch...they are always trying to boss each other around

Thanks Hukit. Why even do research when I know you will throw me an answer within 10 minutes lol. J/k I like doing the research.

Tank size will determine what tankmates are possible whether it's CA/SA cichlids.

Last edited:
We had 2 jack dempseys and 2 pairs of convicts in a 90 gal. They all cot sling. Fun to watch the convicts dominate their spaces!!! ESP with fry. One set always moved their fry under the intake, so they never survived .... The other were better parents... Since I have traded the Jacks for a few mbuna.... As I rescued them and have the Convicts in a 55g ( and my sons 40g breeder).

ya they have babies like crazy! i have already had like 3 or 4 batches....without even trying!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom