Convict's First Go at a Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah right you are using an iPhone 5 to snap those pics! They look incredible! Sure, you use photobucket to host the images, but I just can't get my photos to look that good! Any tips? Maybe it's because my tank has a curved front glass, but I don't think it should make that much of a difference!

Yeah right you are using an iPhone 5 to snap those pics! They look incredible! Sure, you use photobucket to host the images, but I just can't get my photos to look that good! Any tips? Maybe it's because my tank has a curved front glass, but I don't think it should make that much of a difference!

I swear! iPhone5 that's it. I'm amazed myself.

First time trimming....

Before
img_2469442_0_32a7c44c8208de0f1ca05fa0c7981a64.jpg

After
img_2469442_1_9e5404878e778718b4f74360d07521b0.jpg

img_2469442_2_1695d0e801170d8e796015e0eaee1601.jpg

img_2469442_3_4a7181e12747dddacfb94aed662aca69.jpg

img_2469442_4_19dfd4b965a54ac0b75cff562fcb261b.jpg

img_2469442_5_3ac5d30a2023354032e4b2d00b799763.jpg

Here's my wife's banana plant. This thing is taking off!! Three leaves coming through the driftwood. Pretty cool looking

img_2469442_6_d37ed31418a5f5ead2f089b691be8a99.jpg

img_2469442_7_beab13650f3249bb87aa23de8a12e77f.jpg

That will help thicken up your groupings of plants. Just remember you want to trim from short to tall in a planted tank so you have different heights from low to high which shows off all the plants. If the plants are all the same height you couldn't appreciate them. I see some are also coloring up again. Your doing good!

That will help thicken up your groupings of plants. Just remember you want to trim from short to tall in a planted tank so you have different heights from low to high which shows off all the plants. If the plants are all the same height you couldn't appreciate them. I see some are also coloring up again. Your doing good!

Thanks Janis!! Can I tell you the truth? I drank a bottle of Gatorade and I was sweating!! lol you would think I was performing surgery.

Looks fantastic !

Thank you :)

Thanks Janis!! Can I tell you the truth? I drank a bottle of Gatorade and I was sweating!! lol you would think I was performing surgery.

But you did it!!! It really isn't that hard was it? Did you find planting the trimming easier this time? It will all get easier and easier as time passes and then you'll wonder why you ever sweated about any of it... lol!

But you did it!!! It really isn't that hard was it? Did you find planting the trimming easier this time? It will all get easier and easier as time passes and then you'll wonder why you ever sweated about any of it... lol!

Trimming was ALOT easier and actually fun but guess what?!? FLOATER lol!! Jeta sent me anchors so I used them as directed :)

Now for ground cover..... That's my next mission.

Trimming was ALOT easier and actually fun but guess what?!? FLOATER lol!! Jeta sent me anchors so I used them as directed :)

Now for ground cover..... That's my next mission.

The time will come that you won't need anchors. You just have to get the hang of it! I did planting today so we'll see if I have any floaters. Although in my tank I have alot of help from the angels and loaches tho.

Oh I forgot, I had a question. How/when do I trim the moss on the wood?

It started growing upward so I wrapped it around the wood more and tied it down more. Now it opened that area up more.

The time will come that you won't need anchors. You just have to get the hang of it! I did planting today so we'll see if I have any floaters. Although in my tank I have alot of help from the angels and loaches tho.

Yea but this time it was all tweezers :) which made me happy :)

Oh I forgot, I had a question. How/when do I trim the moss on the wood?

It started growing upward so I wrapped it around the wood more and tied it down more. Now it opened that area up more.

That was the best thing to do to because it's going to take alot longer for it to really attach. Once it does it will creep and begin to drap nicely. When you get too much all you have to do is gently tug off bunches. No cutting involved.

That was the best thing to do to because it's going to take alot longer for it to really attach. Once it does it will creep and begin to drap nicely. When you get too much all you have to do is gently tug off bunches. No cutting involved.

Ok cool! Thanks again!

Man this thread is turning into a textbook/novel. You did a good job on trimming. And I feel ya on the sweating about half way through planting my 20 last night I got really hot. I couldn't imagine doing a 220 that's gotta take some patience. LoL (y)

Man this thread is turning into a textbook/novel. You did a good job on trimming. And I feel ya on the sweating about half way through planting my 20 last night I got really hot. I couldn't imagine doing a 220 that's gotta take some patience. LoL (y)

Yeah lol. Janis has the patience of a saint to be dealing with my OCD Bi-polar self lol. She's always sweet and answers all my emails and questions. She's a great person to have on your side!! I'm thankful for her...

Back
Top Bottom