Cool non-neocaridina shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

syrfishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have room for more shrimp in my 36g community, and I already have cherries. I was hoping for another super cool kind, but didn't want one that can interbreed with the cherries so the colors don't muddle (if it works how I think it does, enlighten me if I'm wrong?).

Seems like all the ones I love the look of are Neocaridina though, I was hoping for bright blues, purples, or even yellow, or something to that effect. Anyone have a favorite to suggest?

There should be plenty of room for them to congregate together, or avoid each other, they all like to hang out in the many clumps of willow moss that are attached to the big manzanita branch.

Attachments

• shrimp.jpg
    shrimp.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 65
Tangerine Tigers (very easy shrimp), Super Tigers, Orange Eye Blue Tigers, Crystal Red or Black Shrimp (CRS / CBS), others known as Bees...

Just see the how the parameters match up with the Cherry and see which is a closer match for you.

The CRS like softer water, the Tigers prefer harder water. Ones I remember off the top of my head. So if you have over 7 pH Tigers might work better, and under 7pH maybe consider the CRS.

The less you have to mess with your parameters the better and safer for the shrimp.

CRS and the higher quality shrimp are even MORE sensitive to water quality so keep that in mind.

Wow, I don't know how I missed the Tigers with as much reading as I did. They're gorgeous, too bad the blues are so pricey!

Thanks so much for your input.

Right now I only keeps neos: cherries, red rili, blue dream, pumpkin, yellow, carbon rili. Finally going to try tigers though...I ordered some that should be here tomorrow!

Right now I only keeps neos: cherries, red rili, blue dream, pumpkin, yellow, carbon rili. Finally going to try tigers though...I ordered some that should be here tomorrow!

The rilis look cool, I probably would have gone for some carbon ones if they weren't neos. I actually almost settled on Bees, but they like lower PH and mine is definitely in the higher range. I think I'm going to do the Tangerines, they look like little jelly shrimp in the pics I found and can tolerate a large range of params.

Maybe next month, I have some giant orange sulawesi and thiara winteri snails coming Friday, and want them to settle in before I add anything else.

They're not colorful, but don't forget about Amano shrimp! They're beautiful and hardy. They also get bigger than RCS.

I'm really happy with the tigers, definitely getting more!

img_3196135_0_1665b8bca29e56a36ab6fc4a48e738e8.jpg

Tangerine Tigers are definitely a great starter shrimp in the Caridina family and very active so I think you will enjoy them :)

Back
Top Bottom