Coolest fancy goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Penguins can be either 150, 200 or 350 gph. I imagine it says somewhere on the filter itself but Im guessing they are either 200's or 350's. You can check online and see which filter matches your model based on pics.

I honestly would increase your water changes to atleast twice a week for the interim while keeping a close eye on everyone and be prepared to address overly aggressive behavior if someone is being injured or stressed unduly.

jlk said:
Penguins can be either 150, 200 or 350 gph. I imagine it says somewhere on the filter itself but Im guessing they are either 200's or 350's. You can check online and see which filter matches your model based on pics.

I honestly would increase your water changes to atleast twice a week for the interim while keeping a close eye on everyone and be prepared to address overly aggressive behavior if someone is being injured or stressed unduly.

Alright and if there is I can always to walmart and get a cheap 10-20 gallon tank for the aggressive one if he/she keeps it up

Five 10 or 12in fish of ANY species (goldfish, cichlid, etc) in a 55g is grossly overstocked BUT they will also not reach anywhere near this size due to their tank restraints unless a rigorous daily water change schedule is employed.

I don't think we really disagree, and even if we did, that's what makes forums like this so great -- we can disagree and get a long and learn in the process. :)

I agree that 5 fancies in a 55 is overstocked. I know opinions differ, but I think 5 in a 75 would make the 75 fully stocked. I do understand that there are those that think this would make even a 75 overstocked.

Fancies don't commonly get to 10-12 inches, per my understanding. It's certainly been known to happen, and perhaps it's wise to plan for it happening because they can, but depending on the variety, 8 inches I've read is much more common. 10-12 inches is more like shubunkin territory, isn't it?

Best!

Well kept fancies do grow quite large. This is from a few years ago but please check out Bruce the oranda (Giant goldfish swims into the record books | News | Practical Fishkeeping).... he is rumored to be over 17inches right now. My local AGA goldfish breeder has fish that are easily 12in from nose to tail and my largest moor is just shy of this.

Shubunkins should easily reach a foot in their first year or two of life. I played around with growing them out for awhile and they typically hit 6in within four months and then went to new homes. Granted, this was indoors and not in pond where seasonal differences affect growth rates. Agree to disagree! :)

Well kept fancies do grow quite large. This is from a few years ago but please check out Bruce the oranda (Giant goldfish swims into the record books | News | Practical Fishkeeping).... he is rumored to be over 17inches right now.

I've read about Bruce before... that's one awesome goldfish!

Agree to disagree!

Agreed! :)

Ive been really wanting a pearlsscale cause they look so cute haha but how about I get a 90 gallon for 6? And I know I need to buy new filters and stuff but That should work? Or should I push it to 100g?

Get what you can reasonably afford but if you can manage an extra 10g with the 100, go for it! Pearls do not grow quite as big as some other goldies but they get very round (as in grapefruit size). They are a bit more difficult to keep but not impossible. :)

jlk said:
Get what you can reasonably afford but if you can manage an extra 10g with the 100, go for it! Pearls do not grow quite as big as some other goldies but they get very round (as in grapefruit size). They are a bit more difficult to keep but not impossible. :)

Peascales just have swim bladder? Like get it more often right? Or how are they harder? I didn't see anything that much different when I researched them

It's kind of like how some breeds of dogs tend to have health problems from overbreeding for looks. The mutations that give them their characteristic looks are essentially deformities, and while they can add beauty, they also take away from the hardiness of the fish. Swim bladder problems are common, as are digestion problems I believe.

+1
Well said, Alyxx!!! Yes, they are more sensitive, have some issues with their characterisitc 'pearl' scales and are prone to buoyancy & digestive problems. Definitely a fish that you should avoid commercial foods with if possible.

jlk said:
+1
Well said, Alyxx!!! Yes, they are more sensitive, have some issues with their characterisitc 'pearl' scales and are prone to buoyancy & digestive problems. Definitely a fish that you should avoid commercial foods with if possible.

What should I feed it then?

Fresh veggies are a must, and flakes, freeze- dried or floating foods are a big no-no. I think the general recommendation for more sensitive goldfish is daily fresh veggies and either very high quality sinking pellets, homemade gel food, or prepared gel food. Jlk is the expert, she can give you more than just basic guidelines.

I feed mine sinking shrimp pellets now but as jlk suggested I'm buying hikari lionhead as a food after the pellets run out

Good choice. I've always liked hikari brand foods, my fish always love them, grow well, and show great colors. Just remember the fresh greens, too.

Alyxx said:
Good choice. I've always liked hikari brand foods, my fish always love them, grow well, and show great colors. Just remember the fresh greens, too.

I've tried fresh greens the nibble like 2 bites then there done I've tried lettuce cucumber and apples

Koikeeper99 said:
I've tried fresh greens the nibble like 2 bites then there done I've tried lettuce cucumber and apples

Broccoli and peas (remove the shells) are two commonly recommended veggies for goldfish you could try.

Koikeeper99 said:
Any certain kind of peas?

Regular old frozen green peas. Stick a few in a small cup of tank water, microwave them for 20 seconds or so, enough to blanch them and soften them up, let them cool, pop the skins off of them and mash them up into bite size pieces and feed them to the fish. Same with broccoli, just blanch the leafy tips, let them cool, and put them in the tank. Just be sure to take out any uneaten veggies after 12 hours or so.

The O.P.'s thread title is "coolest fancy goldfish" ermm: that's easy. All my babys in my pond! Lol.
Seriously though, you'll find the rite ones for you. Everyone has diffrent taste and god knows there's enough fancy types to choose from. Goodluck and welcome to the club.;)

Back
Top Bottom