Copepods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigfish75

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 125 gal reef tank that is stable (established 6 months ago) I am just now adding a couple of fish and want to include a dragonet. I have very few copepods evident in the system. is there a way to increase the population or perhaps introduce more?

WELCOME TO AA!!!

Do you have a fuge? I have read it is best to have your tank up for about 1 year, in order for the pod population to be large enough. I believe you can buy pods, but not sure where. Hopefully someone will come along and help.

I have a 30 gal sump with some live rock frags in it, but not a true fuge.

The sump is dark, but I have not looked in it for copepods, but I will tonight. Maybe some in there. If so, I might be able to collect some with baster and transplant.

It might be hard to catch them in there. I imagine they probably get exported up into your main.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
I commend you for researching an animal's requirements prior to adding it. How much LR do you currently have? This will make a difference in pod production. There are various online vendors ( www.reefermaddness.us ) that sell live pods by the bottle. It may be a good idea to add some pods to your tank for a few months and let the population build up. Also, be careful that the dragonet does not have to compete for the limited natural food source with another animal. What are your livestock plans for the tank?

I have about 75 lbs of LR. Last night I did a very close examination of sump and tank, lo and behold, I have way more copepods than I realized. The sump is well stocked with copepods and I did not know that they circulate from sump to tank via that system, but it makes sense. I think I am good to go on the pods.

The tank now has 4 green chromis, 1 Sally Lightfoot, a cleaner shrimp, about a dozen snails and about 18 hermits. In addition to the mandarin I plan to add 1 Maroon Clown, a lawnmower bleeney (I have a fair amount of green hair algae) and maybe an arrow crab. I would like to try some live coral also.

Eventually I would like to add 1 angel or a tang, but I'm not sure which one. No plans for anything after that.

Thanks to all who responded. It is great to be able to draw on other's experiences.

Watch that arrow crab, they can kill and eat small fish and inverts.

bigfish75 said:
In addition to the mandarin I plan to add 1 Maroon Clown, a lawnmower bleeney (I have a fair amount of green hair algae) and maybe an arrow crab. I would like to try some live coral also.

Eventually I would like to add 1 angel or a tang, but I'm not sure which one. No plans for anything after that.
As stated arrow crabs can/will snag sleeping and small fish. As for the angel watch if you want corals as they can be coral nippers ...

I would go with the blenny, you know you got plenty of food for it. Then the mandarin, hate to see a good fish starve. Have you considered a 6 line wrasse? lots of personallity and always on the go. Then the clown.

If you go with a blenny make sure you dont get a scooter blenny. Basically same as a mandarin for feeding. I love Lawnmower Blenny's and with a nice tank size like yours, one would probably do well if the system is matured.

There is no reason you cant plan to have the mandarin evetually by adding a fuge with chaeto and letting it establish. The reason I bring this up is because if you do plan for it, you dont want other fish that eat pods such as a six line wrasse. It will make it even harder for the mandarin to get food.

pods

Most of the pods sold online are Tiger Pods and are really to big for dragonets to eat.

The best thing to do is to get a bunch of chaeto from some one and usually they will give it away

If you can wait a bit I can send you some of mine. I just took a few bagfuls over to the LFS for store credit yesterday so Im running a little low. If you need it now Im sure there is someone on here who can hook you up!

chaeto

Yup, that is the best way. I got a bunch from a local reefer when I hooked up my fuge and I have a ton of pods. My Scooter is very happy.

Thanks again to all for the beta, I have plenty to learn. I am not familiar with "chaeto", so I will have to research that.

Back
Top Bottom