Coral Farming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And obviously as this plan grows so will the coral realestate as I would like to add a 4th spill way to accommodate any overstock or side/personal projects.

I definitly like the idea for saving electricity, in the long run you'll benefit. What about fish? Will this be only coral?

Tough call on the lighting. I say MH for 2 reasons. 1 more growth and brighter colors
2 the spectrum doesnt make the coral colors look fake. I hate when i buy a coral that looks one way, but ends up being another.

It will be a more money...but worth it. I avoided booths at RAP here in socal that used LED's

I was going to have a seperate acrylic tank made (something small like 1'x1') plumbed into each system strictly for photography so I won't have to remove any corals from their current water which will be controlled with ball valves so I can stop the flow completely in the tank allowing for the best over head photos. One of my key points to pitch is to invest in a hi/res camera and macro lense since the photography will be key to making sales.

I don't plan on adding a WYSIWYG section to my site cause I would like every and any piece for sale to be seen not just an example of what you "may" get.

There's a guy I've bought a few corals from in my area that is doing the very same thing you're looking at. and he puts a bunch of stock up on ebay every Saturday night, they sell on Thursday night, and he ships the following Monday..... He typically lists 150-180 corals weekly, and makes about $2500 a week. He's not open to the public yet, but plans on having Saturday hours here soon.

Here's his list for this week..... watch these and see how much he gets for some of this stuff.... Great research tool to see what people are willing to pay, and give you an idea of what sells good online. I'm sitting in front of the computer every Thursday night watching auctions....

reef pets | eBay

Things like that just make me wanna do it more and more lol.

And don't forget to let us all know when you are up and running I'd gladly pay more to help you get going than from big box places

Coel said:
And don't forget to let us all know when you are up and running I'd gladly pay more to help you get going than from big box places

Yes i would too, provided you could ship lol

Unfortunately for me to inform you guys of something like that I will need to be an AA vendor but I will keep you updated on the plan and future build. Hopefully becoming a vendor will be easy and I can inform you guys of the frags available but until then we will need to keep from turning this discussion into anything business orientated as I have already been told this thread was in the gray area by the staff. So that means I'm not allowed to solicit, advertise, or anything like that.

Mrc8858 said:
Unfortunately for me to inform you guys of something like that I will need to be an AA vendor but I will keep you updated on the plan and future build. Hopefully becoming a vendor will be easy and I can inform you guys of the frags available but until then we will need to keep from turning this discussion into anything business orientated as I have already been told this thread was in the gray area by the staff. So that means I'm not allowed to solicit, advertise, or anything like that.

Understandable. Now, how close is this to happening? Have you got a space?

I have a place in mind to rent. I also have a potential investor waiting for a finialized business plan from me (I never took any business classes and man is this overwhelming lol). Mainly he wants solid start up costs and an estimated time of return along with profit margins, expenses, etc you get the picture lol

i like your thoughts on the hi-res camera. one thing to consider for photography is that buying used can often be better than buying new. alot of people sell lenses as they upgrade etc. and you can do wonders with something like a canon t1i which is their basic amateur "pro" camera. as far as actual macro lenses you will have to ask someone else, but consider used for some you will spend less money.

Coel said:
i like your thoughts on the hi-res camera. one thing to consider for photography is that buying used can often be better than buying new. alot of people sell lenses as they upgrade etc. and you can do wonders with something like a canon t1i which is their basic amateur "pro" camera. as far as actual macro lenses you will have to ask someone else, but consider used for some you will spend less money.

Well my mom is actually a photographer so ill be going to her with all that lol.. I grew up in her studio pretty much since she was a single mother yet I know very little other then what makes for a good shot lol

hi im a freshwater hobbyist but love coming and having a look at the saltys

I think you shoul do some freshwater aswell just because theirs a larger market out their and i usualy end up spending about $300-$400 a month at my lfs

lamby said:
hi im a freshwater hobbyist but love coming and having a look at the saltys

I think you shoul do some freshwater aswell just because theirs a larger market out their and i usualy end up spending about $300-$400 a month at my lfs

That's a whole different thing unless you mean plants lol.

i wouldnt do many but their would be a few freshys that would convert to salt after visiting

Ok people back again on the subject lol. So what would be your reccomendations on large external pumps to run a 12' lagoon style tank? Also for any of you running MASSIVE skimmers, what system will give me my most bang for my buck operating on 2-3 thousand gallons. I was thinking either one 6'er or two or three smaller skimmers rated for around 750-1000 gallons a piece.

Back
Top Bottom