coral frags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haus

Aquarium Advice Freak
My lfs has some coral frags for $5. I have 4 NO 40 watt tubes for lighting, 1 03, 1 50/50, and 2 6500k. I know I should have 5 watts/gal, but I was wondering if some zoos or shrooms may survive with that kind of lighting. They are pretty cheap and don't look unhealthy.

Shrooms would do good. I think zoo's require at least PC lighting if not more ... of course that's depending on tank size!!!

I was talking to the lfs guy about a sun polyp. He said that they are not photosynthetic and need to be fed. Does that mean that they do not need as much light because they are not photosynthetic, or do they still need higher lighting requirements.

Thanx Jermz79 for the input. :D

Yeah sun polyps don't need much light at all ... if any! My LFS had a few, but I was advised that because of the feeding routine it was a more difficult coral to keep.
I skipped over it and went with some blue/purple shrooms and absolutely love them.
I recently setup my Nano and aquired some Green Star Polyps, some Neon Green Zoo's and a Ricordea shroom. They are all very nice corals but require higher lighting! If you place the Ricordea high enough in the tank you may be able to get away with those as well as some bullseye shrooms! I put 2 Bullseye in my 29 gal at the very top of the rock under 2 20 watt bulbs and they are doing great!!!

Good Luck!

Jermz

they do not require any light at all. you can even put them in a cave. just be sure that you can reach them easily. each head/polyp needs to be fed like it is its own coral.

steve r

Thanks for the replies. I may have to go and look into the mushrooms. I don't think I am ready for the sun polyps yet, but I love the color. One more stupid question, do hairy mushrooms require high lighting?

I would stay away from Ricordia mushrooms. Although they may survive, they will not hold their color under your lighting IME. Hairy shrooms may do slightly better than the Rics. On the other hand, Bullseye shrooms should be fine in your tank with the current lighting. HTH

One more quick question that just crossed my mind, I have a chocolate chip star. I know that they are not reef safe, does that include shrooms?

Are there any corals that would be safe with a cc star? Remeber my lighting is only 3 watts per gal too. If not I have a 30 gal and a 10 gal that I am making a reef out of next year, using the 10 gal for a sump. I can wait, (that's what sw is all about anyways isn't it :wink: ) I just thought that I could add color to the fowlr.

Choc stars are not very descriminate about what they eat as long as they can. If you are set on keeping the star, might be an idea to get something small and inexspensive as a "test". Keeping the star target fed will also aid in curbing it's need for supplimenting it's diet with corals.

Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom