Coral Growth and Care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryggumb

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been having some trouble growing my corals. My ph and parameters are good but I'm thinking about dosing with calcium. Does anyone recommend anything to dose with for coral growth. I have a 75g. Also I'm interesting in what light settings people use to get the maximum out of there Corals I know each Coral is different but just like to see what everyone else is up too. I'm currently running a current orbit marine led IMG_6885.jpg

Do you know your exact calcium, alkalinity and magnesium levels? I have no clue what to run orbits at but on a 75 they don't seem like that strong of a light source.

Don't know the magnesium level but
PH: 8
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Phosphate: 0 ppm
KH: 17.9 ppm
Calcium: 420 ppm

I'm guessing that it's probably the lights but have no idea what kind of lights I should be running for a 75g

Two of the taotronic style led units, which are Chinese knock offs would do the trick as a simple solution.
When it comes to dosing, there isn't a reason to dose a system unless it is heavily filled with corals to put a drastic drain on the parameters and you have high quality test kits like Red Sea or Hanna checkers to ensure you have an accurate reading.

Two of the taotronic style led units, which are Chinese knock offs would do the trick as a simple solution.
When it comes to dosing, there isn't a reason to dose a system unless it is heavily filled with corals to put a drastic drain on the parameters and you have high quality test kits like Red Sea or Hanna checkers to ensure you have an accurate reading.

Thanks Hank! Do you think that my problem could be the strength of my lights? It's just killing me that my corals haven't grown or really even flourished to what they should be

It's this unit, right?
Current USA Orbit Marine LED Saltwater Reef Lighting System: Aquarium LED Light Fixtures
I have trouble seeing this as being intense enough of lighting for photosynthetic corals. If things are alive and not bleaching, then it is supporting them just enough to stay alive. More light will give them more energy to grow. The elements needed are in the system for the corals already, so you'd see the growth already.

It's this unit, right?
Current USA Orbit Marine LED Saltwater Reef Lighting System: Aquarium LED Light Fixtures
I have trouble seeing this as being intense enough of lighting for photosynthetic corals. If things are alive and not bleaching, then it is supporting them just enough to stay alive. More light will give them more energy to grow. The elements needed are in the system for the corals already, so you'd see the growth already.

Yes that's the unit! Well it looks like I will be looking for a new lighting system. You said you recommend taotronic? Just want these corals to grow [emoji35]

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't used it, but many members have built amazing systems with them. The price is right, but I personally have only used Radions and am now using AI hydras.

Nice I'd probably need 2 hyrdras at least was just looking at the hydra 26. Seems like a good light for what I would need. Pricey but should get the job done I think

I purchased 2 hydra 26s both are running in acclimation mode at about 25% and will be acclimating up to 50% for the next 2 weeks. My corals seem to be responding quiet nicely and hopefully I will se some growth too! Fingers crossed ? IMG_6995.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6995.jpg
    IMG_6995.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 97
Lights are working well. I wouldn't say the corals are flourishing or even growing but they're definitely opening more. Hoping that they grow overtime though especially when they lights come out of acclimation mode. In the mean time I've added a pair of bonded ice mocha clowns and I'm loving them!

Attachments

• BPBLIMS01_grande.jpg
    BPBLIMS01_grande.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_7012.jpg
    IMG_7012.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7014.jpg
    IMG_7014.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7013.jpg
    IMG_7013.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 79
How has the light ramp up been going? What % are you at now?

im at about 40% taking it pretty slow though as I do not want to fry my corals. Not sure how high I'm going to eventually run it at either. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom