Coral Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crabs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Contemplating a nano setup with corals only. Is filtration necessary? Will the LR provide the necessary biological filtration if I use a power head ? How often and how much water needs to be replaced during water change?
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Lol sorry this site can be empty at times.
I think mechanical and biological filtration are both necessary otherwise waste will just sit on the substrate. Powerhead is also a must because there needs to be flow through the rock. You may not need one in something smaller than a 5g because there should be flow from the filter. I'd do 10% waterchanges

Natural filtration could most def handle the load on its own, BUT its strictly based on numerous circumstances such as, lbs of live rock, dsb or no dsb. Bioload etc

huma-huma said:
Natural filtration could most def handle the load on its own, BUT its strictly based on numerous circumstances such as, lbs of live rock, dsb or no dsb. Bioload etc

Thats true but like I stated earlier without a CUC and filter a tank can get dirty pretty fast.

You think so? Only reason I say that is because my 125 never ran carbon and the water was crystal clear

Thanks. I don't plan on feeding this tank. But understand the need to replenish the needed elements that the corals will leach out. Thus the occasional water change. I think the lighting will b the most crucial and expensive part of this build. Of course I will have a power head, heater and plenty of live rock. But the hitchhikers will have to fend for themselves, or parish. I love corals and would like to switch them between my coral tank and regular reef nano on occasion. Was mostly wondering about the maintenance for such a simple tank. Anyone out there have coral only tanks?

huma-huma said:
You think so? Only reason I say that is because my 125 never ran carbon and the water was crystal clear

You may not realize it but alot of filter cartridges have carbon. It's not impossible to keep it clear but carbon will make a significant difference. It'll also remove oils left in the tank from your hands if you ever put them in there.

Back
Top Bottom