Coral only Nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All I know is that the LFS I deal with told me he quit carrying rimless tanks because of failure rate. He said there r alternatives. Like a c thru rim for instance. But said without the rim all u have holding the plate glass is the silicone. And if u have high water movement, especially the pulse wave mode of the vortech mp series. More likely to have leaks. Convinced me. I don't think I want to take that chance. I guess acrylic would b different. If it was molded in a single piece. That wasn't mentioned. But I was speaking with them about glass tanks. I'm still going with the starphire glass. But I will look for alternatives to complete rimless I suppose. I'll be calling the tank co. that customizes the tanks and hear what they have to say. I'll let u know if I find out differently from what I already heard

carey said:
I'm going for a glass rimless....any difference?

If the silicone splits or rips or punctures then the whole seal will come off since there is no frame to support the rest of the seal.

I know I'm gonna catch it fm all the hard core reefers out there but can I use a quality canister filter like the fluval fx5 and forego the hassle of plumbing in a sump? I'm very familiar with these. And rely on a 405 for my 55 African cichlid tank. The volume will b much higher for the FX5 and the coral only tank will be either a 30 or 40 gal. I plan on having lots of LR and would only count on the canister to back up the natural bio filtration of the rock. Any thoughts?

Crabs said:
I know I'm gonna catch it fm all the hard core reefers out there but can I use a quality canister filter like the fluval fx5 and forego the hassle of plumbing in a sump? I'm very familiar with these. And rely on a 405 for my 55 African cichlid tank. The volume will b much higher for the FX5 and the coral only tank will be either a 30 or 40 gal. I plan on having lots of LR and would only count on the canister to back up the natural bio filtration of the rock. Any thoughts?

You will be completely fine. The only benefits from a sump are increased water volume, place to hide equipment, filter sock, and a place to add a refugium. You can get a HOB protein skimmer, HOB refugium, and a HOB reactor.

Its all for aesthetic appeal really, well that and extra water volume to help keep up with the DT that maybe all HOB couldn't provide. I know the vids are old but look up rickets reef and watch his original 10g build that has a lot of DIY info an general sump stuff as well. And as far as the rimless all-glass I've never herd of any complaints other than its a pain in the butt to keep them clean on the outside especially when you have a mp10 maybe causing a little water to go over every now and then. So if your OCD like me I would stay away lol

Thanks. Yeah, I'm pretty good at hiding things behind rock structures. I may or may not use a skimmer. Coral only. Don't want to b feeding this tank. So would just hide a heater. And as far as added volume. I would use a small sump anyway. The jury is still out on this 1. And I need to talk with the professional tank builders about the failures of rimless. Maybe my LFS was dealing inferior tanks to begin with

I know they make all glass rimless where the front and sides are all one solid piece and the only piece siliconed on is the back. You could check into that if your worried about integrity of the structure

Yes. I will. The Co. I'll b dealing with can't answer my questions about their tanks. They only have a secretary working until sometime next week. And she couldn't tell me squat. Told me to email her boss and he would contact me after the 27th of Dec.

What a run around. lol Let me know if you find anything out on the rimless's stability and longevity. I talked to two very good lfs's today about it and both told me they had not heard of any issues or had any returns. I was told that the black silicone they use in the rimless models is stronger than the clear ones used in conventional tanks. I spent about 20 minutes looking over the tank and stand combo, and the seals seemed very sturdy. I do plan on getting a vortech too for my 60g rimless so any information you get would be awesome

Of course I'll let u know Carey. They put the thought of tank failure in my head and now I have to know for sure there isn't even a remote possibility of it happening. Like u, I love the look of rimless. And I want to put a Vortech mp10w in my tank. Failure isn't an option!

Yeah, now I have some doubts too. LOL I have another month or two before I get mine so theres still time to research. :)

carey said:
I spent like 3 hours with my lfs guy this week playing with the radeon lighting. The computer program is beyond spectacular!! seriously, this light is like the cadillac of lights. You can ramp them up and down with the flick of the mouse, change the color intensities , everything you could possibly imagine you can do.

The lfs is currently running them at 30-40% intensity and they generate a ton of light.

cant wait to see your lighting and see what you setup! You'll have to make a video and show us the lightening storms and the ramp ups!

Lol at Cadillac of lights! You americans and your dodgy motors!

Funny thing is i wouldnt ever buy a cadillac. LOL They arent what they used to be but still the epitome of "american" money

Now if i had a choice my vehicle would be european or maybe japanese. Things will run forever !!

Oh yeah. Almost forgot. There r tanks with what they call Eurobracing. This is another good option to rimless. But I have a lot of time for my build too. I'm not rushing this project. I'm building a tank around my lighting. Sounds funny. But that's how I'm doing it

So I purchased my Tank today. Not exactly what I wanted but the dimensions were perfect. Between that and the stand, tank combo price. I brought it home. 30 gallon,Deep Blue Mini Frag ,Rimless, 24"x24"x12 I was assured 100% there will b absolutely no chance of tank separation. Even requested and got that in writing. Mostly because the low volume and short stature of the design. My luck, it will probably b even cheaper after the holidays.

Excellent! thats actually the size tank i would want too. You'll have no trouble keeping anything alive in that deep of a tank. :) cant wait to see it!

When do you get it and where did ya get it?

Thanks Carey. I only went to look. But I've been told I'm an impulse buyer. And I suppose I am. Lol

Back
Top Bottom