Coral sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What size tank is this? I have a single orbit fixture over my 40b which is quite shallow and still can only keep softies and some lps. It has a lot of nifty features though but it just isnt up to par for lighting a reef tank in my opinion. I also have a larger orbit over my 90g that I just purchased the other day, BUT that tank is fish only and will never be a coral tank so it works for that.
I couldnt get your link to load with that light ......

Wasn't planning on it haha. Do you think this light would be better maybe Mantra

Thanks for all your help

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
This is definitely more powerful than the Current fixture, but I'm not sure you are going to like it. It's got none of the controll-ability that you liked about the Current fixture, and I don't think it's going to be strong enough.
What are the dimensions of your tank?

This is definitely more powerful than the Current fixture, but I'm not sure you are going to like it. It's got none of the controll-ability that you liked about the Current fixture, and I don't think it's going to be strong enough.
What are the dimensions of your tank?

Its an aqua one evo 120 - 260L tank

Length = 120cm
Depth = 45cm
Height = 55cm

Wasn't planning on it haha. Do you think this light would be better maybe http://daluaaustralia.com.au/OurProducts/Illumagic/COBSA/tabid/88/mode/details/pid/2/Default.aspx?

Thanks for all your help

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Personally I think it's kinda pricey.

you could get something like this for a strip light, although it isn't programmable but you could even get two of them for less;
and they have the same general specs as the one you linked.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VM0OHH4?psc=1

but if you really want/need the programmability maybe something like this;

http://www.amazon.com/Programmable-...lt_1_88_p?ie=UTF8&refRID=1WPSZQBPJB9YAKQJ9ZPN

you may be able to get away with 1 16" fixture and I'm sure you could get/make a mount for it.

Either way you want ~165 watts or more, and the unit should have 3 watt LEDS, not .5 watt like many of the strip style have.

Whatever you choose, you'll want more whites than blue, or a way to dim the whites to your liking. If it was my tank, I would want two 16" fixtures over it. My tank is 91cm front to back and even placed longways, a single unit puts very little light at the far front and back-not enough for my liking.

Whatever you choose, you'll want more whites than blue, or a way to dim the whites to your liking. If it was my tank, I would want two 16" fixtures over it. My tank is 91cm front to back and even placed longways, a single unit puts very little light at the far front and back-not enough for my liking.

I've been looking all week at lights and ive found this one. What do you think? ZP3600

Thanks
Jason

I've been looking all week at lights and ive found this one. What do you think? ZP3600

Thanks
Jason

lots of bells and whistles but not much power under the hood. It is using 1 & 2 watt LEDs and only a total of 144 watts. For a 60" fixture that is no better than the other units you were considering.

As I said earlier, the units with all the extra features are more often than not underpowered.
do you really need a sunrise and sunset feature?

Why not buy a couple of inexpensive Taotronics or similar LEDs for the light and get a smaller one with all the doodads for the features.

have the small unit do it's sunrise thing, then after a while have the main lights come on, then reverse the process at night.

Best of both worlds.(y)

I can't hang lights either - for the same reason. I bought some PVC pipe and built this...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433868474.919279.jpg

Then made a box to cover it, and all is good - suspended lights without any wall damage. I'll be getting new lights soon, but this rig can support whatever light I want to hang.

Allison
Freshwater fish-head for more than 20 years now, but salt water newbie.

Back
Top Bottom