coralife vs. walmart brands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Holton

Aquarium Advice Regular
I decided to build my own light system and noticed that for coralife auctinices, 50%50s, and fullspectrim lights are about $32 each. Wile the same thing in a walmart brand is only $5 each. What should I do :?

You should forget both brands :) In a freshwater tank you don't really need actinics, and quite frankly they don't really look good. I'd just go with some penn-plax from your lfs for like 10 bucks each, they'll look better, :)

What you get at Wal Mart is not the same thing. Most of the lights at Wal Mart are under 5000K for a color temp. Different bulbs can make a HUGE difference on how your fish look, so cheaping out on crappy bulbs is not always the best thing.

How big is the tank and what are you planning to do with it? That can help us give you some suggestions.

i really dont think that actinics are going to make your fish look any better, it seems like sort of a waste of money on anything but SW tanks.

certain things in liverock beifite from actinics also : fetherdusters, some sponges, and sometimes you get coral in liverock too. 8)

Hmm... mind you this is a FW section of the forum. Your discussion will confused newbie.
Could any adviser pls move this topic to SW pls.

Back
Top Bottom