Coraline or rip off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishrfreinds

Aquarium Advice Freak
I purches Some LR today 5 lbs only but on one of the rocks i bought its just black not that pretty looking did i get rip off or is that just some type coraline or just some more ugly algea to deal with.

From what I can see you did not get "ripped off". There is green & pink coralline, mabye more along with some algae. You don't need much at all to get it started. With more intense reef lighting the green will eventually give way to the pink/purples as time passes. Anywhere from 6-12 months from now, you will have plenty. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

More than likely a sponge, although there is a chance don't bet on it surviving.

Cheers
Steve

sponges dont do well in the home aquarium huh?
I have an orange sponge on a piece of tonga branch I purchased a few weeks ago...it's still there...it's still orange...but I figured it'd die (hoped otherwise of course).

Some do some don't. Really depends on how well they where collected, shipped, handled at the LFS and acclimation to the home display. Many more variables working against them than your typical invertebrate additions. Blue corals (unless this is a tunicate) are usually zooxanthellates and require strong light. Orange sponges typically being filter feeders and harder to keep, usually succumb to necrosis due to trapped air in their tissues. That does not mean your's or fishrfreinds' are doomed, just not high on the list to prosper.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom