Corals for my setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
Quick question. I've got a 110 tall tank (30" tall). I've got pretty low light (4x65 pc). All my inhabitants are reef safe, I've got about 180lbs of live rock and almost 20x water movement. I was considering adding some softies. I've got a mushroom rock in there now. I placed it at the very bottom as kind of a trial and it's been doing great for about a year. My tank IS tall, but I have a 4" sand bed and I run my water low to just above my canopy bottom. The depth of the water from the top of the sand to the water surface is 22" deep so I guess it's more like a 90 gallon really :) I'm wondering what, other than mushrooms and zoanthis I'd be able to keep. Leathers? No chance I could get away with frog spawn is there?

Thanks, all

- Skins

Mushrooms, some zoas, yellow polyps and leathers may do okay depending on placement. LPS corals will need to be placed high in the tank if you attemp them, but most adapt pretty well to a variety of lighting. Your lighting is still very much on the low end so I would consider removing a glass conaopy if you are using one. This will give you a bit better penetration.

lando said:
Your lighting is still very much on the low end so I would consider removing a glass conaopy if you are using one.

Thanks, Lando. No, I'm running topless actually. I might just try and grab some cheap, or free, corals from local reefers. Some that don't need high light and see exactly what I can manage. When I bought these lights, I just planned on doing fish only - but, you know how that goes.

I agree that you might be able to have leathers and maybe a few LPS but as Brian said they`ll need to be on the top. It sounds like from your LR amount that it`s stacked pretty high.

Yes, my rock structure is pretty high. The top of the structure is about 6" below the water line. As I said, my mushrooms are fine on the sand - so you think I could get away with some easier LPS near the top? I could fill in the bottom with zoas and mushrooms.

so you think I could get away with some easier LPS near the top?
I would give it a try. Torch coral, hammer coral or candy cane coral are some good options.

Back
Top Bottom