corkscrew vals and excel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Flourish Excel

Hi I've read that some vals will melt when liquid carbon is dosed, I'm just wondering if corkscrew vals will?

Hello love...

The trace of industrial carbon, "Gluteraldehyde" in this Seachem product, could damage your Vallisneria, so be careful. You could dose half the recommended dose and see how the plants do.

Gluteraldehyde is used is higher doses to kill algae. Vallisneria, aquatic ferns and mosses are similar to algae and this form of carbon could damage or kill them.

B

The Val's may melt. Lower dosing may help. You don't need excel to grow Val's, cabomba , or anacharis if you have decent light and some fertilizer. Excel makes them grow more rapidly though

Ok i got the cabomba, vals, and anacharis for my 10 gallon, but my lfs threw in an extra bunch of the vals for free. So i wanted to see about putting the vals in my 55 gallon that has a bunch of other plants.

Up until about a month ago I kept a huge group of Corkscrew Vals in my 220g in which I use a high dosage of Glut/Excel and had no issues. Don't know why Corkscrews can seem to tolerate it but they do. You may have to build your dosage up BUT you also have anacharis which will melt when using Glut/Excel.

Also not all mosses have problems with Glut/Excel. One's like Riccia will melt but others like Flame, Christmas, Java and many others grow very well when it's used. I have Fissidens Fontanus Moss, which some call Phoenix moss, and it grows like wild fire in the 220g tank with high dosing of Glut/Exel.

When you want to use any liquid carbon in a tank it's best to do some reseach and find out which plants are sensitive to it.

Ferts are good for all plants, especially fast growing ones such as Cabomba and Anacharis.

The anacharis isn't in the tank i dose excel in. It's in my 10 gallon that also has cabomba and corkscrew val. I've been using excel in my 55 gal for at least 2 months now and my plants in my 55 are doing so much better now. I just wanted to add the corkscrew Val to my 55 since i got some extra for free.

Then put in a few pieces and see how they do. At first when I added them they seemed to take forever to decide to do anything. There was alittle melting here or there but I never removed the roots and they came back. Eventually they began to grow like wildfire sending out so many runners that I decided to remove them from the big tank.

Then put in a few pieces and see how they do. At first when I added them they seemed to take forever to decide to do anything. There was alittle melting here or there but I never removed the roots and they came back. Eventually they began to grow like wildfire sending out so many runners that I decided to remove them from the big tank.

Thank you for the advice. my 10 gallon didn't have any live plants before yesterday. I did put a root tab in with the vals since they seemed to have a lot of roots so i assumed they were root feeders, but should i also be dosing the api leaf zone and the flourish comp like i do in my 55 gallon?

Yes you should dose the ferts in there. Also Vals absorb most of their nutrients from the water. The root tabs aren't going to hurt tho.

Back
Top Bottom