Corraline help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popothemailman

Aquarium Advice Activist
what are the ideal parameters for coralline to grow? I just tested the parameters of my tank today..:

PH 8.0
calc 420
amonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0

I dose the following:

Seachem reef buffer for ph, and i think its time i dose that one again. For calc i use caribsea's aragamilk every 3 days, kent iodine once a week, Kent Coral-Vite once a week, and kent's essential elements every 2 weeks. I don't use salt mixes..Tank top offs are done with ocean water.

I have an 80 gal tank, 150lbs lr and the coralline isn't all that great. In fact the 80lbs from lr.com looked a lot better when i first received it. Its lighted by 2x 250w metal halide 14k coralvue(looks clear no blue/purple tint). What can i do to start growing coralline?

Do you have test kits for Calcium and alkalinity? How about Iodine?
Unless you test for these first you should not be using additives. Over dosing iodine can harm the tank.
You need to get your alk and cal in balance so post some numbers and we can help you out.

I would also add Mg to the list of test that seaham gave you.

Tank top offs are done with ocean water
Top offs should be done with RO/DI, Save the ocean water for PWC which should also replenish all trace elements you need unless you have a lot of corals using them up.

What time of day are you testing your pH?
How long have the lights been on before you test?

What do you have in the tank that would be consuming Ca?
No reason to dose it if there's nothing consuming it.

Tank top offs are done with ocean water.

Do you regularly monitor your salinty? Topping off with saltwater is a big no-no. Salt does not evaporate with the water. Continually adding saltwater instead of freshwater is going to increase your salinty much to high. Adding ocean water isn't good as well, unless you get it from miles offshore. It often contains contaminants and unwanted junk in it.

It also sounds as if you might have gotten the lfs to talk you into dosing all of these chemicals. Your pH, 90% of the time, is fine after mixing with a salt mix. Salt mixes also add trace elements that are needed for your tank to thrive. Unless you have a reef tank with corals that will consume the calcium, you don't need to dose. Like everyone else said, you may not need all of the stuff you are adding.

I do have a calc test kit, I ran out of alk, and dont have an iodine or mag. Ill go run to the lfs and grab those and post asap. I have some hard corals but have no idea what depletes my calc, i doesnt go fast but i do notice it will drop to 370 if i dont dose(aragamilk is liquid araganite). I tested my ph around 4pm, my atinic light goes on at 830am, mh at 930am until 830pm then atinic until 9pm. ive been actually wondering what lighting schedules you guys have..?

just got my water tested

ph 8.2
phosphate 1.5
kh 130
calcium 540 - my test kit said it was at 420...(aquarium pharm)

Well a KH of 130 sound unfamiliar, KH is measured in either dKH or meq/l you need to check on that again. If you have a CA reading of 540 then you must have your alkalinity on the low side of the scale, but as you have been dosing this might not necessarily be true.

What I know does wonders is Seachems Reef Calcium, this is an organic calcium (sugar based) which will not affect you inorganic calcium readings and work as an additional supplement (not of much use for coral calcification) for coralline algae.
HTH

well i guess im gonna get a alk test, what is a good one?

Also when i add top off water(ro/do from store) what should i do to it before i put it in the tank? Sea chem reef buffer? calc? bakeing soda?

I just add mine directly to the system, but I'm adding very small quantities and doing it frequently. Technically and ideally, you would just use well-aged and aerated water that was brought up to temperature that is the same as the tank.

Back
Top Bottom