Cory breeding and sexing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After water changes they are showing mating behavior, for a few minutes. but then it stops with no eggs laid. So hopefully they will lay eggs soon!

Sent from my iPod touch 4th generation using Aquarium Advice app

Whoop whoop they layer eggs last night after a water change about 160 of eggs. But all the eggs are white and infertile so I will just leave them in the community tank and let what happens happen.

Way cool. Hope you get fertile eggs soon. I have a bunch of Pygmy cories and have been hoping they will breed at some point.

But so far, only my pair of Daisy rice fish have been doing the happy dance, and they do it every single day.. no fry yet, but they've laid eggs every day for a couple of months now. Their eggs are simply crystal clear and thus quite invisible, so I can't find them to check how they're doing, and the literature says 3 weeks to hatch. I keep hoping I will see some fry.

They lay on the glass in 2 large bunches one by the filter out put and behind a thick mat of floating guppy grass, on the back wall . Then 2 smaller bunches on the sides. also a few on the front panel. This happened overnight after a water change, at that point the light timer was off for the night.

Ok a few eggs are brownish now. so my question is how soon after the eggs are laid do they turn brown? It has been a day and a half since they were laid.

I have to see eggs at all from my corys. I have 2 emerald green and 3 peppered. What does the mating look like and does anybody have pictures of the eggs? Could it be I don't have females? Not quite sure how to sex without both to compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have to see eggs at all from my corys. I have 2 emerald green and 3 peppered. What does the mating look like and does anybody have pictures of the eggs? Could it be I don't have females? Not quite sure how to sex without both to compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just check Youtube for vids of Cories breeding. Im sure if you Google how to sex Cories, it will show pics.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Today my Cory laid eggs again. I saw them spawn so that was very cool! I put 77 eggs in a breeder net hopeful they hatch!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417777842.883957.jpg

Checked cories this morning and found more eggs, now for most people this is a good sight....mine do it every water change, I've done loads of batches and took all the eggs everytime....this time I'm gonna leave them in tank and see if any hatch

Sent from fish phone

So do you all recommend putting the eggs in a mesh breeders net or should I use a dip and pour or ? To separate the eggs so they don't get eaten?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can put them in net....personally I put them in a plastic tub float it in tank and if you can't add an air stone keep changing some water about 3 times a day..... That's the way I have to do it, and I end up with atleast 50 hatching each time.....it's all going to be what works best for you

Good luck

Sent from fish phone

Hi guys!
My cories spawned today :)
Someone mentioned in this thread it takes around twelve hours for the color change to happen, is that true?
I've tried to salvage some before but had no luck so I gave up. The last time I had eggs with an airstone and meth blue in a separate container that went nine days without doing anything (hatching, changing color, fungus) so this time i figured maybe I'll give it one more whirl. I've got them in a plastic floating breeder right under my filter outflow with some java moss. 92 eggs total about a half hour after water change.
Curious to see what happens. I think I just haven't ever had fertilized eggs cause I have so many oddballs. I hope it's my rabauti but I only have one male and one female so I bet it's the bronze.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418511725.405184.jpg

My corys laid a load more eggs today I'm not planning on keeping them as I've got a few that I'm already raising

But the white eggs are not fertile the others are, they change to this after 12 hours (I'm not surprised many aren't fertile as they laid eggs about a week ago and I have one male and one female at the min

Just thought I'd show as you were asking about eggs changing colour

Yours may not be fertile yet they may just be (practicing) don't give up tho it took me a good few try's with them

Sent from fish phone

Hi guys!
My cories spawned today :)
Someone mentioned in this thread it takes around twelve hours for the color change to happen, is that true?
I've tried to salvage some before but had no luck so I gave up. The last time I had eggs with an airstone and meth blue in a separate container that went nine days without doing anything (hatching, changing color, fungus) so this time i figured maybe I'll give it one more whirl. I've got them in a plastic floating breeder right under my filter outflow with some java moss. 92 eggs total about a half hour after water change.
Curious to see what happens. I think I just haven't ever had fertilized eggs cause I have so many oddballs. I hope it's my rabauti but I only have one male and one female so I bet it's the bronze.

Read message above id already wrote reply good luck

Sent from fish phone

Awesome pic, that's a huge help.
If they're "practicing" this long then they suck at it! Over a year and a half with no success. Lol just kidding. I've increased shoal sizes in the last few months so time will tell

Must be the season. My albino corys laid eggs this morning for the first time. I'm super excited. Planning to scrape them and put them in a breeder net near the flow of the filter and see how it goes.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's a very helpful pic. My corys spawned after I fed them some blackworms a few days ago. The eggs were not fertile though from following this picture.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So is it ok to put the eggs in a breeder net in front of the outflow of a hob filter??

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry to hear that!
Meli your pic is helpful but my eggs are not. This morning I can still see the white center in some, and the others are uniform in color, they aren't white but they're certainly not as brown in the ones in your pic. I'll try to take a picture

Back
Top Bottom