Cory Cat Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
I added 6 peppered cory cats about two days ago. I love these little guys, and I'm very glad I got them. However I have some questions that I couldn't Google well enough.

My Cory Cats like to run up and down the glass of the tank, and tend to stay hovering and swimming around alot. I've read that they are normally just sitting at the bottom, but these little guys are incredibly active. Is this something to be concerned about?

Also I'm a little afraid they arent getting much food, i got some sinking wafers for them, and i've been putting flakes in the filter so it shoots down to the substrate for them to collect. If anybody else has any good tips that would be appreciated.

The sinking foods should be fine for them. If they start looking skinny, increase the amount of food you offer. My experience is that they have periods where they are pretty active, and periods where they are just kind of hanging around. Yours sound normal to me.

severum mama said:
The sinking foods should be fine for them. If they start looking skinny, increase the amount of food you offer. My experience is that they have periods where they are pretty active, and periods where they are just kind of hanging around. Yours sound normal to me.

+1. Fish have personalities too believe it or not. Some fish don't like to be held down by the norms of their specie. :p

But on the real, it's normal. Nothing to be concerned about!

I have the albino Cory's and they love the pellet food I throw in. Also my little guys use to swim back and forth mid tank along the glass, could not figure it out. Like you I worried about it but after a while they stopped doing it, I'm guessing they were going thru some kind of adjustment period.

When they run up and down the side of the tank if they go up to the surface they could just be getting air, it is normal.

Corydoras

I added 6 peppered cory cats about two days ago. I love these little guys, and I'm very glad I got them. However I have some questions that I couldn't Google well enough.

My Cory Cats like to run up and down the glass of the tank, and tend to stay hovering and swimming around alot. I've read that they are normally just sitting at the bottom, but these little guys are incredibly active. Is this something to be concerned about?

Also I'm a little afraid they arent getting much food, i got some sinking wafers for them, and i've been putting flakes in the filter so it shoots down to the substrate for them to collect. If anybody else has any good tips that would be appreciated.

Hello Z...

Corydoras prefer the slightly darker areas of a tank. I keep a lot of floating Anacharis and Pennywort in my tanks, so my Corys tend to stay in the filtered light during the day. Toward dusk, they become more active and are constantly swimming. I keep quite a few Panda and Orange Saddle Corys. So, the activity level is normal.

As far as food, aquarium fish can go several days, if not a couple of weeks without much food. They have very small stomachs. So it's best not to feed much. I feed a variety about every other day. In between feedings, all the fish forage for small bits of food, it helps keep the tank clean.

The best thing for your tank is to do large, frequent water changes. I change out half the water in my tanks every week. This will guarantee a stable water chemistry and healthy fish.

B

I have some peppered cory's and they like to swim to the top everyonce in awhile, but now that i know thats normal takes any worries away. i just got mine saturday, i also feed mine sinking shrimp pellets and they love it, made by omega one

I just got 8 peppered Cory's yesterday. I have also experienced that they are extremely active. This morning when I turned on the light about 6 of them were under my drift wood sleeping. They also like to go up and down. Never once did they go to the surface. In my research if they tend to go to the surface a lot they are getting air and it would be a good idea to check the water chemistry to be sure. I got sinking shrimp pellets ( omega one )and they love them. I also got sinking wafers ( new life spectrum ) they eat them but it appears they like the shrimp pellets. In another week I'm going to get frozen bloodworms. I've heard they like that too.
Good luck

It's normal

I had a couple cory's a while back and they would do the same thing. They do breathe air, so thats probably why they do that. Mine would also float upside down on the surface. Apparently they like to play dead, then they would "ressurect" themselves. Have fun.

Back
Top Bottom