Cory died!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flames9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. Lost my first fish today. I have a 10 gallon tank. Currently has 3 female adult guppies, 1 male guppies and 5 fry that are like days old and surviving. As well still have 1 Cory( had 2) Water levels seem fine. ph 7.1 ammonia .1 (trace) nitrite .25 nitrate 0 and levels have always remained around that. Started my cycle with Bio spiro. Tank is about 6 weeks old. For water treatment I have been using Amquel +.
Fished the dead cory out,no white spots,looks normal,except for the no movement part. All other fish "seem" healthy and the other Cory is moving abouty fine. Imjust wondering if maybe they are not getting enough food?? I feed the fish twice a day with flakes. And the guppies gobble that up quickly. I had boughten these pellets (wafers) for the cory's but they dont seem too interested in them, and once the guppies see them, they eat them!! Damn guppies, lol Any suggestions would be great. thanks Scott

Do you do gravel vacs and change the filter media often? That could be preventing the cycle the tank has not gone through yet.

Not truly sure but doesn't Amquel "bind" ammonia making it harder for bacteria to "feed" on it? This could also be the cause as it seems your cycle has stalled.
Bio-Spira is alledged to "automatically" cycle a tank when used properly.

Checked my water levels yesterday, and imnow CYCLED!!! Ph was 7 Ammonia, nitrite and nitrates a big zero!!! Thanks all for the help.

Cory's can die coz they don't get the food they need. They love frozen blood worms and it is easy to feed enough that some lands on the bottom for the Corys to find. I usually feed just enough flake that some falls on the bottom. I also feed algae wafers, they do eat it . The wafers I have tend to break up easily.

I would not have thought that the cycle would have killed the cory. Maybe it was sick anyway. Not all disease show signs. Maybe it was old? Maybe it was just the fishes time?

Back
Top Bottom