Cory mating ritual?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sugarloves

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone ever watched their cory cats mate. I have a peppered cory and an alibino cory in a 10 gallon and the peppered cory is acting funny. He(or she?) constantly follows the albino one around and then rubs up against it while vibrating/wiggling really fast. The albino doesnt seemed phased and just swims off....then the peppered does it again. This has been going on for a couple of days now. Could they be mating. I was told the two could breed even thought they are differnt types.

I have 3 Juli Cory's and 1 Punctatus Cory. The P. Cory thinks he's one of the Juli's I guess because he is constantly swimming around with them and they often even pair off. 2 Juli's and 1 Juli and 1 P. Cory. They exhibit similar behavior to what you're talking about. I've never seen cory's mate so I can't say for sure, but I know cory's are a social fish and like to be with other cory's so it may just be that the two don't realize they are different species and are just schooling or socializing or something. Thats what I think is happening with mine anyways.

This is an occurring ritual between loaches and especially corys. I have Reed fish and they do the same thing when they breed. Your Corys are probably trying to breed and they might in fact do so. If they do however it's little possibility that they will produces fish, if however they do it's a little chance the fry will survive. However there is some possibility and if you get some fry congratulations on having some PepperedXAlbino Cory hybrids!

BettaLadys said:
I have Reed fish and they do the same thing when they breed.

Well, when they attempt to, anyways....get fry from them, and you will be the first in the world to do so after 4 decades of trying.

True, it's kind of sad once you actually think about it, knowing that all Reed/Rope fish are caught from the wild and placed in pet stores.

Back
Top Bottom