Cory-Possible internal parasite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frenchpea2002

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok, so I noticed my smallest cory that has been the smallest since I got them about 2-3 months ago, has sunken eyes and a very pale front end. It's a generic "spotted cory" and was fine, just the runt of the group, until today when I noticed him swimming in the mid-upper section of the tank, pale and upon closer inspection, majorly sunken eyes and face. The belly isn't sunken in, but it's on the thin side. I moved him to QT but can't get a picture of him now. None of the other cories are showing any signs, and they are fed plenty.

tank stats:
29g moderately planted
Amm: 0
NitrItes: 0
Nitrates: 10
pH: 7.8
kH: 10.8
temp: 78
30% wc weekly

The only recent changes are dosing with Flourish Excel and Flourish Iron that I started about 2-3 weeks ago, no new fish added, no other fish deaths, nothing that I can think of aside from an internal parasite...

Is that what you guys think it is? If so, how should I treat him? He's in QT and I am slowly raising the temp. I dosed melafix since I figured that can't hurt, and am thinking of getting some food with appitite increasing stuff in it to try, although he hasn't eaten for me yet tonight...

I've noticed that fish that are ready to die, get sunken eyes and start to act like that. I've never been able to figure out what it was from though. Can you notice it eating? If eating still, medicated food would be way to go. An anti parasite med such a Jungles Parasite Clear Tablets (that contain 2 very good parasite meds) would be a good thing to try. In my experience however, the sunken eyes aren't a good sign. Sorry. :(

I agree with DT, the sunken eyes are usually a bad sign. Internal parasites are difficult sometimes to diagnose and not easy to treat in the later stages. Your cory may have been sick for a while. Maybe even from the lfs. I use the Jungle Parasite clear tabs myself when I suspect parasites. Also Jungle's medicated food for parasites. They are a bit big so crushing them up some would be better than trying to feed whole. Good luck.

would it be a good idea to treat my main tank as well, in case any of the others also have it, so I can try to catch it before it gets too late? I worked back to back 12 hour shifts so I just toosed food in there both days and didn't really look at the fish really closely, so if he wasn't out then, I wouldn't have seen him, and now I feel bad about not noticing it earlier!

Don't feel bad for not noticing, quite often fish that are ill hide and make it hard for us to see them. I wouldn't treat the main tank unless you notice some symptoms in the other fish. If anything give medicated food for parasites rather than treating the entire tank with meds.

ok, I'll just feed medicated food, since I picked up both the tablets and food, just to be on the safe side. I've done a little bit of research and I'm wondering if perhaps this could be a flagellate... The entire front from his eyes to the tip of his nose is pale white. It literally looks like a dead fish... He's still sticking to the upper 1/4 of the QT tank, often resting on the plants. I've treated with jungle parasite tablets and food, but I don't think he's eaten any of the food. It's so sad watching him!

Back
Top Bottom