Cory question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkpate

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering how many corys (I have one emerald cory now) I can put into my 10 gallon tank until the end of August when I move? They will then be put into a 50G after that. I have just the one I got off CL, and I think she's lonely... :( She is always playing by herself and I think she needs some friends. Oh, there is one mystery snail and 2 ramshorn snails in there too.
Thanks! :D

Someone else will be able to answer this, but I had six Black Sail Corys in my 20 long and they were fine with that (they've moved up to a 50 gal now). They all puppy-piled in the corner together to sleep and when they were moving around, they all swam in unison - they are such COOL little fish. I could have just a CC tank. I had three CCs at first and did notice that their personalities really came out when I went up to six CCs. I am going to get six more CCs soon - Emerald Green this time - can't wait!

EDIT: Original Post Deleted

Reading comprehension for the win... I misunderstood the gist of the question. :oops:

I like a nice lil'shoal of Cories, so I usually think bigger numbers, sorry.
I'd get 4-5 more playmates, they'll keep ya smiling with their follow the leader and wall zooming antics. 5-6 is a good number for Cories and no problem for the 10gal.

Last edited:
IMO, you'll be glad if you wait until you move. Moving my fish was the most stressful part of my whole move. The less you have, the better. I ended up completely tearing down one tank and after thinking about it, I'm not even going to set it back up. Again, thats just my opinion, and experience ;)

I would get 3 more since you only have snails in the tank besides her. That way she isn't so lonely, and then if I were you I would get 4 more at least when they move to the 50. But rookie does have a good point with moving it being a PITA .

Well, I ended up just getting 2 more for now, and will get more when I move. I didn't realize how funny they actually were until I got the CL one, and she is crazy at night LOL! So now it will just be the 3 of them and the snails. The card at the store said each only needed ONE GALLON....OMG, I don't think so! My CL one is around 4 inches and I can't imagine her being in a 1G. :(
All of my fish are peaceful community fish, except for the bettas, so I will be able to put them all in one Rubbermaid tub for the trip with an airstone. The bettas will go in these 1 gallon ice cream containers I have been getting from my aunt.
Thanks guys and gals!

I just finished up moving all my my tanks over the weekend. Just my $.02, but the 5 gallon buckets/lids that Lowes sells are a godsend for moving fish. The lids are watertight, and those buckets only cost about $3. :)

I just finished up moving all my my tanks over the weekend. Just my $.02, but the 5 gallon buckets/lids that Lowes sells are a godsend for moving fish. The lids are watertight, and those buckets only cost about $3. :)

Quarantine buckets anyone?

I can fit them all in a Rubbermaid, since they are small, and the bettas will be fine in the ice cream tubs. I transported the first emerald about 250 miles in one last week. :)
Quarantine buckets for what?

Just a thought. Instead of having a quarantine tank you can save some money by just buying some buckets and using them for quarantine.

If there is a Firehouse Subs near you you can get a five gallon pickle bucket for like a buck, and the price goes to help injured firemen and their families. I used mine for PWC. As I recall it smelled but it was cleaned out really well.

Hu uh. Those lids are definitely not water tight. Water/splash resistant maybe, but whenever I used them as soon as I had one on it's side it leaked like a sieve. Just my two cents.

And yes, the lid was on tight. It was my bucket for my substrate and rocks, so there was no need for any air exchange.

When it comes to transporting fish over long distances, there are bad ways, good ways and great ways.
If you have the room, this is one of the great ways.

Use rubbermaid storage tubs and keep'em covered to prevent jumping and reduce the amount off water sloshed over.
Buy a appropriately sized power inverter or two, use'em to power HOB filters, airstones and heaters* (*if needed).
They can be insulated by wrapping with inexpensive shipping blankets.
A 2gal bucket, a bottle of dechlorinator and a faucet, and you've a water change/top off in transit.
Don't feed during the trip.
Cut the cover to fit snugly around filters.

Caution, not spill proof, but place a plastic bag and a shipping blanket under the tote, it catches any slops.

img_1116255_0_7aa56ec945a23efc6d1154255067e032.jpg

It's a 6 hour drive, they are going in a Rubbermaid tub, I ordered the battery powered air stones, and they will be in my car.

The 4 bettas will go in separate ice cream tubs. I am moving in August because it will be warm, so I won't need heaters.

The fish going in the tub are:
6 java/kuhli loaches
8 guppies (endlers hybrids)
1 dwarf gourami
2 harlequin rasboras
1 mystery snail
3 emerald cories
5 assassin snails
Decorations in there too

And I am going to leave a little water and the sand in the tanks and just leave the MTS in there, they'll be fine.

My mother in law keeps asking me why I won't move till August, and it's because of the fish LOL. She wants to know why I just won't fly them over on the place. SHEESH! No way.

Quarantine buckets anyone?

And might I ask how this would be succesful? Would we need a filter on it, or how would it be set up? If I can get away with that idea then I can make the 5g a shrimp/snail tank and that would be awesome!

And might I ask how this would be succesful? Would we need a filter on it, or how would it be set up? If I can get away with that idea then I can make the 5g a shrimp/snail tank and that would be awesome!

I think a small canister or HOB could work and you could have a small snail/shrimp breeder I bet. You could just put a strip light over it to keep it illuminated.

You know Crepe, every time I see your name I get hungry, and now I am gonna go make myself some crepes! Thanks alot! HAHA! ;)

Back
Top Bottom