Cory questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
75g tank, 2 x penguin 330 hob, 2 x 3 300w heaters, 2 lg pieces of driftwood, 5 x 2/3" angels, 6" pleco, 12(?) corys

Looking for personal experience advice on just how much cover the corys require - I've always been partial to fairly heavily "planted" tanks (real or silk plants) but I am thinking I want to see the corys more and am wondering just how bare I can make the tank without causing the corys discomfort.1484423491985.jpg

Corydoras

75g tank, 2 x penguin 330 hob, 2 x 3 300w heaters, 2 lg pieces of driftwood, 5 x 2/3" angels, 6" pleco, 12(?) corys

Looking for personal experience advice on just how much cover the corys require - I've always been partial to fairly heavily "planted" tanks (real or silk plants) but I am thinking I want to see the corys more and am wondering just how bare I can make the tank without causing the corys discomfort.View attachment 304445

Hello ear...

Corydoras are bottom feeders. If you plant the bottom well, they'll do fine. Any of the various kinds of Anubias will work. I use lava rock and pieces of driftwood I find along the local river beds too. Corys have a pretty tough skin, so they won't mind rocks that may be a little on the rough side. As the pieces age in the tank, moss and algae grows on them and this is a good supplement for any fish's diet.

B

I believe the thick mat of plants pictured is Hornwort, aka: Coontail.

Yup it is hornwort, that's an old pics when I had a few guppies sharing the tank and needed fry cover

My orange laser cories are no where to be seen in my 29g tank that is slightly less grown in..There is lots of cover but one would think they would navigate between outpost?
There are 9-10 and if I see them it is 10 minutes after I feed and even then only a couple come out from their fort to snatch up food...They are one fish IMO that do not come out more when more comfortable :banghead: ..Hoping they are doing something special in there ,but since I have had them for 2+ years and never even seen one egg I lean on them just being lazy and too happy...:nono:

My tank is planted but not *nearly* to the extent of the one in your first post. There are still a handful of hiding spots and my 4 cories sometimes disappear but I can usually at least spot them. I find that when I feed my dwarf frogs their blood worms it becomes a big cory party as they come out to pick up whatever gets dropped (why my frogs have to be fed with tongs...they'd never get anything). So maybe drop a special treat here and there to get them really going?

Back
Top Bottom