Cory sick! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JacksonJigsaw

Aquarium Advice Activist
All the other fish in my aquarium except for my albino Cory are healthy. Today his mouth is red swollen and puffy, his bottom lip is red kinda like he go punched in the mouth. It's making his entire face look a lil swollen. He is swimming slow and is going to the surface more often than usual for his gulp of air. Any ideas?!?

img_1500135_0_c733082b9b86995db6c3f29ae2374f96.jpg

the lil red dots on his face look like tiny sore or cuts, then there is a smal slice at the base of his whisker

10 gallon, corys and black neon tetras, planted with SA plants, oak leaves, a piece of drift wood.

AMM 0
NIT 0
NITRATE 3.5ish

i have had him for about a month and a half

theres nothing wrong with the water quality or i don't think anythings big enough to attack him, what are you using to test?

Last edited:
API fresh water master test kit,

nothing big enough to attack him and no signs of aggresion from the Black neon tetras

I read diffrent viruses parasites and infections and nothing seemed to fit.

could he have just gotten his face scracthed up on the drift wood?

that might just be what happened, i cant really see any signs of anything else being wrong. I would say that he just got scratched up on some driftwood or sand. if he doesn't clear up in a few days then just post again! Hope he gets better :)

I did a small water change and dosed with API Stress Coat+

Anything i should keep an eye out for? Ill be monotoring him very closely.

I may be overreacting, but i love my fish lol

More fish problems the Cory still isn't doing good, but know I have another problem.

Last night I saw one of my black neon tetras openin and closing his mouth pretty fast, kinda like he was gasping. All the other fish were fine and he was swimming okay so I was just going to wait and monitor him. This mornining i discovered my filter had stoped in the middle of the night and found the BNT dead. All the other fish are doing the gaspin thing now, but I think it is cause of the low oxygen. I shifted the filter and it started right up. Is this gasping thing a diseases? Or just them being stressed?

Do a 50% water change. Clean water helps fish fight off disease and a 50% water change would reduce waterborne pathogens by 50%. Melafix can be added to the tank to help the cory heal. It works wonders on certain ailments.

I keep the tank at 80

I have it really well planted

Okay Ill treat and do the water change

Its been a while sinc I added new oak leaves to help keep the ph low, could thy be a factor

UPDATE: the black neon tetras are seeming allot less stressed but I'm going o have to add a new black neon tetra or 2 because 5 isn't enough IMO.

Cory still swollen and red, maybe even worse :'( so I got a bottle of melafix and started treatment, hopefully all this will be resolved soon!

Thanks guys for the help and support!

Back
Top Bottom