Cory species...wrong info from LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brendainnj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My newly cycled tank is up and running well, and had as its first inhabitants a dwarf gourami and 3 yoyo loaches. Not positive on what else we'll be adding but I knew I wanted cories!

The tank is currently maintained w/an 80 degree temp. Before going to the LFS, I tried to research which cories would be good for warmer temps. I was planning on the Sterbai but when I got to the store he had a kind I'd never heard of...Loxozonous (sp?) that were similar to the Sterbai at half the price. I specifically asked about temp requirements; he assured me that high 70s would be fine for them. I bought 6.

When I got home, I googled info. and of course it turns out that they are one of the species that like 70-75 temps. Also described as needing moderate-experienced care. Had I known that, I def. would not have purchased them. But, they are adorable and seem to have settled in nicely w/the loaches. I plan to lower our temp to around 77-78, will that be OK for them? Also what kind of advanced care do they need? I acclimated them for 2 hours in the bag since our PH is 8. I do try to be knowledgeable about the fish prior to bringing them home, but I never realized there were so many species of cories.

If it's a lost cause, I could try to return them for the sterbais, but I won't be able to get 6 right now:(.

Hello Bren...

Your Corydoras may be a hybrid. There are 100 or so listed species and probably that many hybrids unlisted. I have a hybrid called an "Orange Saddle". Never heard of them, but they're very nice fish. Corys are adaptable, like most of the fish you get at the pet store, so a degree or two difference in their water temperature won't matter.

All your fish deserve pure water conditions, so you should be replacing half the tank water every week for a smaller tank and every two weeks for larger tanks. My Corys have done well with a little standard aquarium salt, a teaspoon for every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water. This species is supposed to salt sensitive, but some of my "little cats" are several years old and I believe a little salt helps their immune system.

Corys are meat eaters in addition to algae eaters. I feed mostly frozen, it's the most nutritious. Feed a little freeze dried tubifex worms and an algae biscuit too. They'll love a bit of minced garlic. It's very good for them and contains a natural antibiotic. Spice World has a very good product.

Pure water conditions and good food will keep your Corys healthy for a long time.

B

Hey Brenda!

I'm not a cory expert, so I have no idea which cory you're talking about... but I have many different types of cories. I have three that I believe are an emerald/bronze mix, a sterbais, a panda and two peppered. All seven are different sizes but play and hang out together constantly. They are in my peaceful 55gl tank with skunk loaches, platies, guppies, gourami and more. My tank is set at 78 degrees. My cories are totally fat and happy. No problems at all. I have cory eggs all the time! Although they do seem to be less active when my PH goes higher then 7.6

I would keep your new cats. (And give us a photo!) As long as your cories are swimming, frolicking and eating they are okay. One other tip that I have picked up is to watch their gills. If they aren't bright red or constantly huffing and puffing than they are doing okay with the water conditions. This seems to be true of all my fish.

Loxozonus are stunning, but then so are most corys IMO! No particularly special requirements, good water and good food and they should thrive. I think the 'advanced' care would pertain to breeding, when some knowledge of specific requirements is always handy. As mentioned, corydoras are adaptable and generally hardy once settled.

New species.are.being discovered regularly. When I first got inteted inthem, there were around 120 named species, now there are closer to 200 with many waiting to be officially named by science.

I plan to build a.fish room when funds allow and corys will be bred!! Sterbai are my favourites.... so far

Hello Bren...

Your Corydoras may be a hybrid. There are 100 or so listed species and probably that many hybrids unlisted. I have a hybrid called an "Orange Saddle". Never heard of them, but they're very nice fish. Corys are adaptable, like most of the fish you get at the pet store, so a degree or two difference in their water temperature won't matter.

All your fish deserve pure water conditions, so you should be replacing half the tank water every week for a smaller tank and every two weeks for larger tanks. My Corys have done well with a little standard aquarium salt, a teaspoon for every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water. This species is supposed to salt sensitive, but some of my "little cats" are several years old and I believe a little salt helps their immune system.

Corys are meat eaters in addition to algae eaters. I feed mostly frozen, it's the most nutritious. Feed a little freeze dried tubifex worms and an algae biscuit too. They'll love a bit of minced garlic. It's very good for them and contains a natural antibiotic. Spice World has a very good product.

Pure water conditions and good food will keep your Corys healthy for a long time.

B

Curious why you would assume they are hybrids rather than undescribed species. Hobbyists are collecting plenty of undescribed species and taxonomy simply hasn't caught up with that yet... that's why we have C and CW numbers.

Back
Top Bottom