Cory with fuzzy spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNWaquarist

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of my corys has a fuzzy patch on his side, above one of the gills (see pic). Does this look familiar to anyone? Bacterial or fungal? The city is not behaving any differently than normal.

I had a Rummy with an apparent bacterial infection (columnaris?) in September. I treated the tank with Furan-2. I had to euthanize the fish, but no one else exhibited symptoms. It also looked more internal than this.

Tank is 29 gallon, 80 F, pH 6.8, and is 5 months old. Other inhabitants are a few more Corys, tetras, and a pair of GBRs (27 total fish). Using an AQ50, 3 x 20% weekly WCs, vacuuming parts of the substrate once a week.

Thanks in advance.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418242954.992247.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also forgot to mention that I added two GBRs to the tank about 48 hours ago (great timing!). Given the short time difference, I don't think that these two events are connected. I've been prevetatively dosing the tank with API Melafix since introducing the GBRs to protect them.

I think I may know what's going on now. A few weeks ago, I noticed that one of my corys had a lighter-colored spot and looked like it was missing a small piece of armor. And this white growth is exactly where I noticed the "chink in the armor" a few weeks back.

Talked to a guy at my LFS yesterday and the consensus is that it's likely a fungal infection stemming from some minor plate damage. So I picked up a bottle of Acriflavine and am going to turn my quarantine tank into a hospital tank.

Thanks, though I'm not sure what to do now. Spent a good 10-15 min trying to catch this guy the other day and couldn't get him. Took all of the driftwood out of the tank, and still wasn't able to get him. Since I'm not interested in tearing out all of my plants and stressing my other fish to death, I'm going to let it go for a few days. I might just try to sneak up on him with the net one of these days.

In the meantime, I've been dosing the tank with API Melafix to help one of my GBRs with some minor fin damage (looked much better after five days of treatment). I don't expect that it'll help my cory all that much, but who knows.

Tough one - hate it when fish are being difficult to net.

Worth a try if he just needs a nudge to fight it off.

Back
Top Bottom