Corydoras and betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtistGardener

Aquarium Advice Freak
This subject has probably been discussed at length, but I want to set up a 20 gallon tank with mixed corydoras and a single male betta. AqAdvisor says it isn't advisable but . . . .

So, what are the chances for problems? Do I introduce the corys first then betta or other way around? I have never had a betta. My first thought was a 10 gallon betta only tank, but since I have an extra 20 and want to try a sand bottom tank for corys, I was hoping to combine them. Speak up all you experts! :) Also, if it is OK; how many corys are acceptable in a 20 high? I was thinking of four albinos that I already have and maybe another 8 of two different species.

Often cory's are the only fish more temperamental Betta's will tolerate. Honestly I would add them all together. Usually if there are enough plants with hiding places. While a 20 high will work a 20 long would have been better as there is a larger footprint for cory's. Due to the 20H having a smaller substrate area you should limit yourself to 6 cory's max IMO. Smaller species such as Panda's or Julii cory's would be a better choice.

Thanks, Rivercats. I picked up a 20 high on the curb (free!) along with a hood so plan to make use of it. I will be doing low-light plants only since it is a simple fluorescent hood, but I do plan to make it well-planted with wisteria, java moss, anubias, and java fern. I appreciate your advice and will just add a few of the smaller species of cory or stick with my four albinos.

I've got a 10 gallon planted. I put the female betta in first and a couple of weeks later added 4 albinos. My betta was curious about the new additions, but left them alone. She pretty much ignores them except at feeding time. When I drop the cory wafer, she'll go down & check it & maybe do a quick nibble. And then she goes on about her business. It's a nice happy tank.

Every beta has a unique personality. I've had ones that are great in a community setting and don't bother any other fish whatsoever, and I've had ones that attack every moving thing. It really all depends on the beta.

Back
Top Bottom