Corydoras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBradbury

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello Aa...

Have kept Corys for a few years and apparently, my information on the care of these fish is sadly outdated. I'd been instructed to keep them in a substrate that was nonabrasive and not to have any sharp decorations in their tank, because the whiskers (barbels) could be injured as the fish foraged around the substrate or suddenly took off across the tank.

I understood the need for a semi-neutral pH, pure water conditions and that if you used standard aquarium salt in the tank, to keep it to a minimum, like about a teaspoon for every 5 gallons of new water.

I'd also learned that you never kept Corydoras in small tanks, 10 gallons or so, because they were extremely shy fish and needed several of their own species to feel comfortable, so small tanks were out of the question because you should keep 5 or 6 together and stock 1 for ever 5 gallons of tank volume, so there would be enough room for them to forage around the tank.

Is this information completely outdated?

B

I've seen a ton of people still saying that they need a soft substrate like sand but in my limited experience that's not true. I have mine in standard petsmart gravel (pretty prickly) and all the barbels on my 3 are perfect. With gravel, however, you have to vacuum it regularly. When I eased up on the vacuuming for a few weeks, 2 of mine started losing their barbels. When I went back to vacuuming thoroughly they grew back very quickly.

As far as ph and salt goes I don't know. Mine are in 7.6 ph with no salt and are perfectly happy.

The only time I've seen them being shy wad the first added them to the empty tank. They seen pretty oblivious to the other fish I don't think they even know the betta I there even though he's been the grumpiest at them.

You can do three corys and be fine, i have three in my 55 half gravel/soil and sand. There not really shy, they only bolt when i try to get a really good look at them to make sure theres nothing wrong

No Cory cats are my favorite fish of all time and that information sounds good to me. One helpful hint is that some species of corys like to dig so ideally you should have a small part of your tank with sand instead of gravel so they don't hurt themselves. I don't know all of the species tht dig but I know that one of then is the loxozonus cory cat

What's the smallest type of cory?

Not certain, but probably the pygmy. I had some 'habrosus' once that were pretty small as well and imo more attractive than the pygmy.

In a 16 gallon, i'd put about 10-12 easily of the habrosus. Tiny things but look cool in a big group.

One of the members of the genus, Brochis, which by all rights should scientifically be lumped in with corydoras.... pretty sure it's one of them.

How many can live in a 20 long?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I skip Salt in Cory tanks. Also any meds need to be 1/2 dose as Corydoras are scaleless fish.

The like planted tanks with driftwood and hiding spots and fine, soft sand.

Yes, they can live on other substrates. But after seeing them dig in nice sand, you'll want to give them that option.

http://youtu.be/tPOvOije4vQ
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415737779.658913.jpg

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome, they are really cool looking and I was thinking about a Pygmy species for my new tank so they're now on my list :)

Back
Top Bottom