Corys breeding clouding up tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DiscusLvr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my tank has been uncontrollably cloudy for the past few days. Ive done 25% PWC everyday for 4 days straight and its still very cloudy. My corys have been breeding constantly for about a week now and I was wondering if that could be the reason my tank is so cloudy. Ive checked all of the parameters and everything is looking great. If its not the corys I have no clue what is going on. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

20g barebottom tank with one discus, one pleco and two corys

yes I have and its 1 of 3 things:
1 it is just cloudy due to having a sand bottom and having bottom fish like corys or loaches that stir it up a lot. in this case I suggest switching to a heavier thicker grade of sand and carefully dump it on top of the old sand. also get acurelf its a really great cleaner for the water helps make it clean and clear. I use it once a week or every water replacement/ changes after the first week of doing the drops daily. follow the instructions on the box.
2 it could be due to having the eggs that don't get eating get bad. causeing bacteria to appear. my guess is to remove the eggs that get laid and try you luck at breeding them. if you do that I think I should have a thread up soon about that.
3 worse case is that its an infestation of little parasitic hair like worms. look at you tank water with a flashlight at night to see if you can see them they are brown to tan in color. this occurs from over feeding your fish or them not eating it in time. the parasite is dormant in the food and can revive itself after a certain time period. I have had that before and I had to remove all fish to a different tank. remove all water except 6 inch at the bottom and add straight ammonia to kill them. when you do this don't disturb the bottom to much until you start to add the ammonia. that way you don't have them swimming around and inadvertently suck them up. ask your local fish store person for the ammonia and advice. last I remember it toke an overnighter to kill them. it is common to get them every year that you have had the tank so siphoning the bottom out is a must during every water change. dump the gravel after disturbing it with the ammonia in it. and rinse well with soap and water. clean all your décor also with soap and water. if its a live plant then just water. add new sand/ gravel. new filters and clean the filtration system even down to the lines and clean anything that was in there even air lines. add treated water and add the hardiest fish in first. when all your parameters are to normal lets say a week then add a little bit of your fish in a week at a time. max 2 fish at a time until they are all in and do 50% water changes every 2-3 days depending on the size of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom