Cotton Mouth Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CanadianWaters

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of my neon tetras has a white growth on his lip and I'm thinking it's some kind of cotton fungus type of infection. I recently did a large rescape and think that might have caused stress allowing him to become affected. It's super hard to get a pic because of the quick movement but...
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398743001.234592.jpg

Just tested and all ammonia and nitrite at 0 with nitrate at 5. My tank is quite understocked and no very aggressive fish so I don't think it's an injury.

Can anyone confirm what it is and know of a good remedy? Also, if I use meds should I treat the whole tank? I do have inverts in the tank but have a spare they could move too.

Probably not an injury I'm afraid. Is it like a white, smooth'ish ball (or really fuzzy/hairy)? Could be columnaris (cottonmouth).

Most likely columnaris. Keep water extra clean for a week or two and see if there is any improvement. If not you are looking at gram negative bacterial medications.

It looks more like a pimple. Like a smooth ball rather than fuzzy. My water is at 5 nitrates already I can't get it much cleaner.

Yup I can quarantine. Which would be better for treating one neon though: a planted 2.5 or a bare 15 column? I don't want to be dosing a ton of meds into a 15 for one fish. I don't have any of the meds that article recommended right now so I'll just add some salt. How's this sound?

Yup I can quarantine. Which would be better for treating one neon though: a planted 2.5 or a bare 15 column? I don't want to be dosing a ton of meds into a 15 for one fish. I don't have any of the meds that article recommended right now so I'll just add some salt. How's this sound?

The bare tank would be the one as the plants won't like the salt. Depends on how much you want the plants.

Or even a plastic container will do for a bit.

I've tried 2 to 3 tablespoons per 5 galls (do a teaspoon first so they can adjust) and found that did help - seemed to remove a clump of it. Lower temp below 25C or 77F. Water changes help.

Triple sulpha is worth a try. Then into treatments for gram negative bacterial infections.

Edit - copied the list info below I have for meds.

Nitrofurazone (Furan-2*), Kanamycin (Kanaplex*), or Minocycline (Maracyn-2) are better options. Triple sulfa can be hit or miss, works best if used early on for columnaris.

Gram positive antibiotics (like Tetracycline) are more likely to upset your beneficial bacteria than gram negative. Tetracycline is most effective for gram positive bacteria.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom